CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: A "simple" Hexapod project - Joints

Posted by stephank97
on 2003-06-27 02:09:43 UTC
I have done the inverse kinematics for a triaglide system (general
closed form) as it is fairly simple and just a 4th order polynomial
to solve.
A couple of comments:
These machines are fairly large i.t.o space occupied for a similiar
xyz machine. So you are trading floor/table space for building cost

2 things play a dominant role, working volume and joint range.
As the working volume is irrelevant in the x direction (you simply
add more rail length), the problem is deciding y and z ranges and
these are interrelated. If you want a wide y with a shallow z, to
minimise the length of rail, you need a tall machine. For a deep
working volume you need to increase the x direction.
More important, if you choose to use ball joints, the limit of the
sideways range will decide your minimum leg length. Plus you would
like some clearance above the spindle holder.
Another problem creeps into the system. If you want to minimise rail
movement, you have to operate with the legs as near to vertical as
possible, but this creates the problem that your sideways stiffness
is at a minimum. Conversely if you operate the machine with maximum
sideways stiffness, your vertical stiffness is at a minimum.If you
operate the machine with both vertical and horizontal stiffness,
your machine size is at a maximum.

another thing to look out for. Since this is a non linear movement
machine, there are points where a small movement in the rail can
cause a large movement in the tool position, So the resolution is
not equal over the entire working volume. Steppers would not be the
best of choices.

Despite these difficulties I am working on mine and will keep you
informed

Stephan

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "alex" <telecomt@t...> wrote:
> Graham,
> I would go for a ball joint.
> If you place compression springs between the plate and the base,
you can
> adjust
> stiffness of it.
> Alex

This
> > means no actuators as such to design, just bog standard rails and
> > leadscrews. See files section "hexapod ideas" if you don't know
the
> > configuration.
> >
> > This means the mechanics consist of a stiff frame, 6 (for a full
> > hexapod) or 3 (for a triaglide) linear slides, 3 or 6
leadscrews, 6

wanliker@a...,
> timg@k...
> > Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... [Moderators]
> >
> > OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> > If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
reach it if
> you have trouble.
> > http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

to be a
> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT
> subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
> >
> > NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY
POSTING THEM.
> DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> > bill
> > List Mom
> > List Owner
> >

> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Discussion Thread

Graham Stabler 2003-06-17 12:07:17 UTC Re: A "simple" Hexapod project - Joints alex 2003-06-17 12:54:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: A "simple" Hexapod project - Joints Graham Stabler 2003-06-17 13:15:11 UTC Re: A "simple" Hexapod project - Till's hexapod even better stephank97 2003-06-27 02:09:43 UTC Re: A "simple" Hexapod project - Joints Carl Mikkelsen 2003-06-27 08:32:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: A "simple" Hexapod project - Joints Graham Stabler 2003-06-28 06:34:45 UTC Re: A "simple" Hexapod project - Joints