CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo sizes

Posted by Les Watts
on 2003-07-08 11:27:44 UTC
Hi Jay

I can size a servo for you if I have a little information:

1) What is the moving mass of each axis?

2) What kind of linear bearings will you be using?

3) What is your desired max speed and acceleration?
On my machine I cut at about 2 or so inches per second,
rapid about 3 times faster, and accelerate at 20 inches
per second per second. The machine can do several
hundred, but the inability of EMC to do blended contouring
(I have not solved this yet) forces me to limit accel to a
low value.

4) what kind of leadscrews (if any) do you want to use
on each axis?

If you are using rack and pinion the reduction ratio will need
to be calculated. Commercial anti-backlash rack systems
have fixed ratios so I would need to know that if you are
using them. They are very very expensive but also very
high performance. Are you planning to make your own?

Les

Leslie Watts
L M Watts Furniture
Tiger, Georgia USA