CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Working voltage for Servo Motors

Posted by Bernard R
on 2003-07-27 22:41:28 UTC
Jon,

Thanks for the explanation. The reason for the question is that I'm
building a 4th. axis and the motor is much smaller than those
diriving the other axes and if possible I wanted to avoid building
another supply. I don't mind bending the rules a little as long as I
know the consequences; in this case I will be applying about 1-1/2
times nameplate voltage but will current limit to well within the
motor rating. Speed is not an issue.

Thanks again,

Bernard

Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:

> Bernard R wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >
> >What is the reason for the recommendations I have read that the
> >supply voltage for servo motors should not exceed the nominal
working
> >volts by more than a few volts? In contrast the recommended
voltage
> >for stepper motors is 15 to 25 times nameplate voltage.
> >
> >Bottom line, how much over nameplate can you apply?
> >

> Quite a bit, in servo motors. the reason is the amp limits the
current
> to the peak maximum rating of the motor. Applying more than rated
> voltage while current is limited will cause the motor to run above
rated
> speed, which is probably the softest of the limits on the motor. A
motor
> rated at 3000 RPM will not fly apart at 3500. However, a motor
with a peak
> current rating of 15 Amps may be ruined at 16 A when the magnets are
> depolarized.
>
> Now, on a stepper motor, the voltage rating is artificially low, as
> these ratings are at motor standstill. Modern stepper drivers use a
> PWM (chopping) technique to limit current, but the higher voltage
> is needed to reverse the current in the windings quickly, as well as
> supply the back EMF of the motor. That's why these motors often
> have ratings of 2 V @ 4 A or something. This rating is obviously
> low, because 2 V * 4 A * 2 phases = 16 W = 0.02 Hp, which will
barely
> move the hands on a clock. When a stepper is moving fast, it takes
> a lot more voltage to run it. So, the dynamic voltage rating of a
stepper
> would be far higher than the standstill rating, which is what is
actually
> printed on the motor.
>
> If you had a 24 V motor of normal construction, and an ordinary PWM
> servo amp with no output filter, you could probably get away with
> running it from a 48 V supply, and a 36 V supply would almost always
> be safe. The insulation of the motor would certainly stand the
overvoltage,
> and the extra dissipation caused by the PWM waveform would only
become
> a little higher. With an output filter on the servo amp, you could
probably
> push it much higher, but there might not be a whole lot of benefit
to that.

> Jon

Discussion Thread

Bernard R 2003-07-27 13:20:12 UTC Working voltage for Servo Motors Harvey White 2003-07-27 13:37:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Working voltage for Servo Motors Jon Elson 2003-07-27 19:54:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Working voltage for Servo Motors Bernard R 2003-07-27 22:41:28 UTC Re: Working voltage for Servo Motors