CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Angle grinder for high speed bits on a CNC Bridgeport?

Posted by doug98105
on 2003-07-29 13:34:59 UTC
Jeff,

A way that worked for me was to make a bracket that clamped around
the machine quill and at an exact distance from that center another
hole where an electric die grinder is clamped. IIRC, mine is spaced
4" inches from the quill centerline. Program the cutter path 4" X
axis offset from the quill (machine spindle) location.

Note: my controller allows a resetting of the Z "home" position so
the quill is partially extended enough for the bracket to clamp
around the quill.

My die grinder is a Precise brand with 40,000rpm. I prefer to use
the electric spindle because the air type require so much volume for
continuous running.

Doug

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "washcomp" <jeff@w...> wrote:
> I'm thinking of a way to use small cutters (for engraving or
routing)
> on the CNC Bridgeport 2J head I'm toying with. I think an air
> powered angle die grinder dosn't have enough torque. Anyone try
> adapting an angle grinder? Any idea how to addapt a 1/4" collet
> holder to the "nose" and aligne it acurately with the spindle?
Will
> it keep its accuarcy?
> Maybe I can afix an NTMB 30 head to it using a collet holder for
> mounting into the spindle?
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Jeff

Discussion Thread

washcomp 2003-07-29 11:07:25 UTC Angle grinder for high speed bits on a CNC Bridgeport? dougfennell2000 2003-07-29 11:41:37 UTC Re: Angle grinder for high speed bits on a CNC Bridgeport? doug98105 2003-07-29 13:34:59 UTC Re: Angle grinder for high speed bits on a CNC Bridgeport? James Cullins 2003-07-29 14:18:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Angle grinder for high speed bits on a CNC Bridgeport? washcomp 2003-07-29 14:36:40 UTC Re: Angle grinder for high speed bits on a CNC Bridgeport?