CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Maxnc control system

Posted by jeffalanp
on 2003-07-30 20:42:59 UTC
Hi Mike,

Do you have an actual web page to look at. I went to the maxnc
site and couldn't find the $1200.00 system. I did see their "closed
loop servo" system stuff mentioned on a couple different pages. It
appears that they use regular stepper motors with an encoder
connected on back. They claim, on one page, the feedback allows them
to get (quote)much more power and speed (about 8 times more) due to
the feedback(unquote).
I find that very interesting, since a stepper motor moving at a
medium-slow speed, when matched with the proper sized stepper driver
should be providing as much power as it can (which is why steppers
are good at slower speeds). Perhaps someone can explain to me what
I'm missing there, 8 times!?!?!. An encoder isn't going to give you
more power (it should be close to max already), only let you know you
haven't gotten to the right place. An encoder on a typical brush-
type DC motor in a closed-loop type system, on the other hand, can
let the controller know to increase current to the motor if it finds
the motor isn't getting where it should be.
I have never used their closed loop software, but, before I knew
any better, I bought their MAXPRO 3 axis software. The price I paid
for TurboCNC was a MUCH better deal (and better software too)
(actually I traded Dave a single axis drive). The MaxNC software, to
me, was very disapointing.

For a system that is much more *servo* than the MaxNC appears to be,
and will really drive a table router with power, you could get
something like:

Power Supply:'The BEaST' http://www.cnckits.com (perhaps overkill,
but...)
Pricing: 1KW US$365 each

Software:Mach1,
http://www.artofcnc.ca
$150.00
or TurboCNC
http://www.dakeng.com
$20.00

Servo Drives:http://www.geckodrive.com/products.htbml
G201 7A, 80V 10 microstep drive $114.00

some servo motors from:http://www.seanet.com/~dmauch/
$159 ea plus $7 s/h per motor.

for example:
365 (PS)
20 (TurbCNC)
342 (Geckos)
477 (Motors)
======
1204 (not including shipping, taxes, etc)

I haven't put this system together, but for about the same money as
you mention, I think it would kick the pants of the MaxNC system

Jeff

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "mmeyers1111"
<mmeyers1111@y...> wrote:
> Hi folks...
>
> Maxnc sells a closed loop servo system with 3 210oz servos, power
> supply, Maxnc control software, etc. It looks like everything
> somebody would need to provide motion control for a 2ft X 4ft cnc
> router that is similar to the one they sell (www.maxnc.com). The
> control kit sells for around $1200.
>
> 1)Does anybody have experience with Maxnc control software that
could
> comment on pros/cons? The other options I've considered are Mach2
or
> TurboCNC. Apparently, Maxnc will not de-bundle the software and
they
> only recommend their own software due to proprietary firmware they
> add to the motion control system. In other words they
> wouldn't/couldn't tell me if Mach2 or TurboCNC would work.
>
> 2) Given the price, is there some overriding reason that I should
> consider a stepper system over the Maxnc servo system?
>
> Mike

Discussion Thread

mmeyers1111 2003-07-30 17:57:53 UTC Maxnc control system Carlos Guillermo 2003-07-30 19:58:11 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Maxnc control system John Guenther 2003-07-30 20:10:39 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Maxnc control system jeffalanp 2003-07-30 20:42:59 UTC Re: Maxnc control system mmeyers1111 2003-07-31 13:31:31 UTC Re: Maxnc control system