CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Maxnc control system

Posted by mmeyers1111
on 2003-07-31 13:31:31 UTC
Jeff... thanks for the info!
Carlos and John thank you too for your previous posts...

The Maxnc web site does NOT list the $1200 servo system. I got that
info by calling them after I found their web site with the stepper
stuff that IS listed on their site.

However... my gut feel was that what Dan has to offer at his site
(http://www.seanet.com/~dmauch/) is more reasonable for me given that
I want Mach2 or TurboCNC at the end of the day. Dan has been very
helpful and I guess I'm still trying to decide between the stepper
system and the servo system packages he has listed.

I'm hoping to build a cnc router from plans I got from www.data-
cut.com. I'm no expert, but I think the plans from Chris at Data-Cut
are great. He provides a supplier list, a materials list with part
numbers, DXF files for all the parts, and he has been great at
answering my stupid questions. His plans call for graded rolled lead
screws as opposed to ball screws, so I'm tring to figure out if going
to servos would be overkill. He says the lead screws provide .0015
accuracy for small parts and he's measured no more than .002 error on
2ft parts. Overall the xyz router is 30in by 48in by 6in.

If the price difference between Dan's stepper vs. servo packages
isn't much, and if the setup isn't all that much more complicated,
I'll probably go with Dan's servo package for the Data-Cut router. I
don't have a clue because... well, because I'm clueless!

So that's it... just trying to digest all this info before I buy
stuff and empty my wallet. After the money is spent it will be a
long time before I'll have enought to fix any mistakes I make up
front :-) ha ha

Thanks again...

Mike

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "jeffalanp" <xylotex@h...>
wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Do you have an actual web page to look at. I went to the maxnc
> site and couldn't find the $1200.00 system. I did see
their "closed
> [...]
> the feedback(unquote).
> I find that very interesting, since a stepper motor moving at a
> medium-slow speed, when matched with the proper sized stepper
driver
> should be providing as much power as it can (which is why steppers
> are good at slower speeds). Perhaps someone can explain to me what
> I'm missing there, 8 times!?!?!. An encoder isn't going to give
you
> more power (it should be close to max already), only let you know
you
> haven't gotten to the right place. An encoder on a typical brush-
> type DC motor in a closed-loop type system, on the other hand, can
> let the controller know to increase current to the motor if it
finds
> the motor isn't getting where it should be.
> I have never used their closed loop software, but, before I knew
> any better, I bought their MAXPRO 3 axis software. The price I
paid
> for TurboCNC was a MUCH better deal (and better software too)
> (actually I traded Dave a single axis drive). The MaxNC software,
> me, was very disapointing.
>
> For a system that is much more *servo* than the MaxNC appears to
be,
> and will really drive a table router with power, you could get
> something like:
>
> Power Supply:'The BEaST' http://www.cnckits.com (perhaps overkill,
> but...)
> Pricing: 1KW US$365 each
>
> Software:Mach1,
> http://www.artofcnc.ca
> $150.00
> or TurboCNC
> http://www.dakeng.com
> $20.00
>
> Servo Drives:http://www.geckodrive.com/products.htbml
> G201 7A, 80V 10 microstep drive $114.00
>
> some servo motors from:http://www.seanet.com/~dmauch/
> $159 ea plus $7 s/h per motor.
>
> for example:
> 365 (PS)
> 20 (TurbCNC)
> 342 (Geckos)
> 477 (Motors)
> ======
> 1204 (not including shipping, taxes, etc)
>
> I haven't put this system together, but for about the same money as
> you mention, I think it would kick the pants of the MaxNC system
>
> Jeff
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "mmeyers1111"
> <mmeyers1111@y...> wrote:
> > Hi folks...
> >
> > Maxnc sells a closed loop servo system with 3 210oz servos, power
> > supply, Maxnc control software, etc. It looks like everything
> > somebody would need to provide motion control for a 2ft X 4ft cnc
> > router that is similar to the one they sell (www.maxnc.com). The
> > control kit sells for around $1200.
> >
> > 1)Does anybody have experience with Maxnc control software that
> could
> > comment on pros/cons? The other options I've considered are
Mach2
> or
> > TurboCNC. Apparently, Maxnc will not de-bundle the software and
> they
> > only recommend their own software due to proprietary firmware
they
> > add to the motion control system. In other words they
> > wouldn't/couldn't tell me if Mach2 or TurboCNC would work.
> >
> > 2) Given the price, is there some overriding reason that I should
> > consider a stepper system over the Maxnc servo system?
> >
> > Mike

Discussion Thread

mmeyers1111 2003-07-30 17:57:53 UTC Maxnc control system Carlos Guillermo 2003-07-30 19:58:11 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Maxnc control system John Guenther 2003-07-30 20:10:39 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Maxnc control system jeffalanp 2003-07-30 20:42:59 UTC Re: Maxnc control system mmeyers1111 2003-07-31 13:31:31 UTC Re: Maxnc control system