CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re:230 volt power

Posted by Don Rogers
on 2003-08-01 21:32:53 UTC
At 01:22 AM 8/1/03 +0000, you wrote:
>All homes have 230-volt power! At least ones that are
>grid connected! You will likely have to have a double
>breaker installed and wire run for a 230-volt plug.
>This is simpler than it sounds.

When I purchased my Taig lathe about 10 years ago, it came with a 230V
motor. The guy I bought it from told me that it would rewire to 115V. It
didn't. So for the last 10 years, I unplug the Dryer and run an extension
cord to the lathe from the dryer plug. Ticks the wife off when she comes
home and see's the cord running into my garage/shop and the chips I've
tracked into the house, but it works.

Any house in the US built in the last 30 years and maybe even earlier will
have a 220v, 230V, 240V input to the house, The terms are of greater
difference than the actual voltage. If you have any 240V appliances in
your house, you are wired. They will include an electric dryer, and
electric range and/or oven, an electric hot water heater (probably).

Housed built in the last 10 to 15 years will have 240V runs to these
appliances even if they are gas operated. My house has 240V at the range,
the dryer, and at the hot water heater, even though these are all gas
appliances. This makes it easier to pull a wire into your shop area,
providing you can get into the attic or crawl space if there is one.

I sure miss the basements from the east coast. Out here on the Central
Coast of California, every thing is on a slab with trusted roof and tons of
insulation. Almost impossible to re route wiring.

Don

Discussion Thread

Kenneth Emmert 2003-07-31 13:45:47 UTC RE: 230 volt power Don Rogers 2003-08-01 21:32:53 UTC Re:230 volt power Markwayne 2003-08-02 07:50:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:230 volt power Don Rogers 2003-08-04 23:09:58 UTC Re: 230 volt power