CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: 230 volt power

Posted by Don Rogers
on 2003-08-04 23:09:58 UTC
At 02:54 PM 8/3/03 +0000, you wrote:
>Strange, I have a gas dryer and it plugs into 120V with a standard plug.

True, and that is the point, We wire in 240v in case someone wants an
electric dryer which runs on 240v
The 120V is for the ones who only need a motor drive, not the 1500W heat
coils They wire both in now.

>One caution is that dryer outlets dont have a neutral, just a ground.

Back in N.Y. when I built my house, the electrical inspector required me to
run 10/3 w ground to the dryer. Dam if I could find a place to hook all
four wires, but it made him happy. Same with the oven. The first
inspector had a heart attack half way through my house building and when
the second one came along, his question was "why did you run 10/3 with
ground?" Neither one of these have the noise issues that the CNC machines
will have, but both have the safety issues.

>Now granted that the neutral and ground is tied together back in the
>service panel in most cases

Should be in all cases. If not, you need to fix it. And it should only be
tied together in the entry panel, not the sub panels.

And Last
>My sympathys out to the left coast.

Non needed, we like it here. Especially after living on the north coast,
and East coast, and some places in-between.. Granted there are things I
miss from both areas, some with regret and some with glee. Basements,
Cheese Danish, and Lobsters from the east coast, Basements, Brockwerst and
Coney Island Hot Dogs from Michigan are missed with regret. The Mosquitos,
black flies, 100x100 temperature and humidity, the 0x0 temperature and
humidity are among the things I miss with Glee.

I like to go back for a visit, but I sure like to get back home on the
"left coast" Unfortunately so do a lot of other people. That's why the
housing is so expensive out here. Which has nothing to do with CNC other
than reducing the budget available for it and the place to use it.

Don

Discussion Thread

Kenneth Emmert 2003-07-31 13:45:47 UTC RE: 230 volt power Don Rogers 2003-08-01 21:32:53 UTC Re:230 volt power Markwayne 2003-08-02 07:50:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:230 volt power Don Rogers 2003-08-04 23:09:58 UTC Re: 230 volt power