CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] linux & newer PC,s for BDI soft ware

Posted by Matt Shaver
on 2003-08-05 14:27:47 UTC
On Tuesday 05 August 2003 11:21, dcumin2000 wrote:
> I,m putting a engraver together & want to try Linux & the BDI
> program. My questions are: Is anyone used this? How do you like the
> software? What flavor of linux are used with machine control(is one
> brand better for machine control than others)?
> I purchased Red Hat, min install is 500 mb, max is over 2.5 gig.
> Seems large!
> Can anyone tell me what low level formating soft ware is used to
> erase windows(95 & up) from old hard drives so older dos command.com
> can be loaded allowing linux to be installed only as main operating
> system? I have some older PC's I can dedicate to the engraver, but
> need to get around the installed windows. Reformating can only be
> done with the same or later version of windows. This leaves win 95
> command com on the PC,cant get linux to recognise this as dos?

The BDI disk comes complete with everything needed to install Linux and the
EMC on a computer. You don't need a separate copy of Red Hat Linux... With
most newer computers (most made in the last 7 years or so) all that's needed
is to insert the CD and reset the computer. You may need to go into the BIOS
setup and select the "boot from CDROM" option.

The best place to ask questions related to this is on the
emc-users@... mailing list. You can subscribe here: