CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CheapCNC Brand Router - Comments?

Posted by ballendo
on 2003-08-09 06:56:42 UTC
Hello,

According to the builder, top speed of these machines is 6IPM (Inches
Per Minute). That means that to travel the rectangle of its work area
will take 10 minutes! 18+18+12+12=60 inches. Add another 40 seconds
for the Z axis to reach the table...

Additionally, If you are talking about the MDF model, take a look at
the "bowl" carving shown on the website. The surface finish
is "fluted", and it does not appear that this is intended; but rather
an effect of the poor system stiffness of the machine.

Hope this helps,

Ballendo

P.S. Although you may be willing to wait the time out, your cutters
will suffer from such slow travels, and wear out MUCH more quickly.
Overheating of the cutter and burning or rubbing/burnishing of the
work will be daily issues...

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "clone_enolc"
<clone_enolc@y...> wrote:

> I'm thinking about getting one of the CheapCNC units. The Mid-range
> unit (Item # KIT12-18P-145). It would only be around $1500 US in
the end.

> I mean, with 145 oz. Stepper Motors, 18" X 12" X 4" work area, and
> .00025" resolution on all three axis....How could I go wrong? I
mostly
> want it for wood and plastic working.
>
> I'm also thinking about building one from scratch. But I think I
would
> end up spending as much/more OR it wouldn't be as good as the above
> unit. I also like the idea of being up-and-running in a couple of
> weeks rather than many months.
>
> So, if you have one of the CheapCNC units please lease us a message
> and feel free to ramble-on as much as you like! did you think it was
> worth the money? Does it do everything you want?

Discussion Thread

clone_enolc 2003-08-09 00:16:55 UTC CheapCNC Brand Router - Comments? ballendo 2003-08-09 06:56:42 UTC Re: CheapCNC Brand Router - Comments? Antonius J.M. Groothuizen 2003-08-09 14:05:48 UTC Re: CheapCNC Brand Router - Comments? Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-08-09 14:32:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CheapCNC Brand Router - Comments?