CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CheapCNC Brand Router - Comments?

on 2003-08-09 14:05:48 UTC
My first CNC machine was John Kleinbauer's Brute. The cost was less
than $200 USD including plans, materials, stepper motors, drive, and
computer. It took me two weeks to locate the materials and build the
unit. It took longer to figure out RS-274. A good mantra is "G-Code
is not standard." Learn the flavor used by your CAM package.

The CheapCNC unit has the advantage of being a kit of pre-cut parts
delivered to your doorstep. A one stop shop for everything you need,
except the spindle and computer. It has a resolution of .00025".
All this tells me is that the leadscrews are probably 20 TPI. It
says nothing about the accuracy of the unit. Do you know the
difference between accuracy and precision or resolution?

Ask the manufacturer some more questions.

Good luck, and welcome.

Tony

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "clone_enolc"
<clone_enolc@y...> wrote:

> I'm thinking about getting one of the CheapCNC units. The Mid-range
> unit (Item # KIT12-18P-145). It would only be around $1500 US in
the end.

> I mean, with 145 oz. Stepper Motors, 18" X 12" X 4" work area, and
> .00025" resolution on all three axis....How could I go wrong? I
mostly
> want it for wood and plastic working.
>
> I'm also thinking about building one from scratch. But I think I
would
> end up spending as much/more OR it wouldn't be as good as the above
> unit. I also like the idea of being up-and-running in a couple of
> weeks rather than many months.
>
> So, if you have one of the CheapCNC units please lease us a message
> and feel free to ramble-on as much as you like! did you think it was
> worth the money? Does it do everything you want?

Discussion Thread

clone_enolc 2003-08-09 00:16:55 UTC CheapCNC Brand Router - Comments? ballendo 2003-08-09 06:56:42 UTC Re: CheapCNC Brand Router - Comments? Antonius J.M. Groothuizen 2003-08-09 14:05:48 UTC Re: CheapCNC Brand Router - Comments? Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-08-09 14:32:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CheapCNC Brand Router - Comments?