CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Using ribbon cable for parallel port

Posted by JanRwl@A...
on 2003-08-12 11:54:18 UTC
In a message dated 8/12/2003 10:10:12 AM Central Standard Time,
tig416@... writes:

> My breakout board is located about 6" from my parallel port. Can I use a
> ribbon cable with DB25 plugs on it or am I asking for trouble .

Derek: This SHOULD be just fine, assuming your breakout board is properly
designed and functioning right.

HOWEVER! I must add that the ONLY PC's I use "out in the shop" for driving
machines DO have shielded cables, and 74HCnnn output buffers to the parallel
port ($378), so that the voltage-swings are MUCH more nearly "rail to rail" than
the "old" definition of "TTL"!

In all my breadboarding "on the lab-bench" with "nekkid wires" from the
parallel-port, with good "rail-to-rail" output, I never had any noise problems.
TOO, I generally have used74HC541 buffers on the stuff I attach to
parallel-ports. Those seem to be VERY "forgiving" of raggedy signals, and ignore much
noise I suspect WOULD be "seen" by 74LSnn, etc.! One must EXPERIMENT and learn!

Jan Rowland

tig415 2003-08-12 08:08:48 UTC Using ribbon cable for parallel port Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-08-12 11:43:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Using ribbon cable for parallel port JanRwl@A... 2003-08-12 11:54:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Using ribbon cable for parallel port