CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Does this make sense? was Re: Bent Nookballscrews ?????

Posted by Bill Kichman
on 2003-08-12 12:16:36 UTC
I think you are both right....in a sense.

I think it's easy to imagine that if we load down those preload setup screws
tightly enough, the thing won't move. In that case, it would take more than
what the motor can deliver to move it, hence the motor "sees" the preload
force at the screw end. So much load is applied that the balls and thread
are deformed aas previously mentioned.
On the other hand, one can imagine that more force "between" the preloaded
nuts can be realized with a small preloaad added, that will not necessarily
be "seen" in its entirety by the motor due to the canceling out of the
push-pull arrangement as was previously discussed.

I suspect that if we just stay in the middle, with "just enough" tension so
as to eliminate the backlash, thru field trial, that is where we need to be.
Kim, I understand that's what you did initially, it sounds like it's still
working perfectly well, minus the problems with chaff entering the nuts.
I am highly impressed by this whole design arrangement. I was totally
convinced a week ago that I needed to plop down almost a grand to get 2 axes
setup with preloaded ball screws, and now for about $300 I have all the
materials to not only add the screws to my full sized mill, but make it
absolutely zero backlash to boot. And even though one of the screws is
slightly bowed, it can be corrected, and the installation is probably going
to be quite precise and long lived. Isn't that where we ideally need to be?
R. William Kichman, P.E.
Kichman Engineering Associates
103 Old Furnace Road
Cornwall, PA 17016-0643