CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Why not lineal feedback, instead of rotary encoders?

on 2003-08-12 18:54:12 UTC
Hi,

Torsen gave a very good reply. Let me just add this to his reply.

The encoder is there because the motor must have it in order to close
a stable feedback loop. That requires a tight "compliance" between
the motor and the feedback element. What that means is there should
be no (or vey little) backlash in either the motor reduction
gearing, or more significantly, in the rotary to linear transmission
(read leadscrew).

This can be difficult to achieve in a single feedback loop.

A more elegant solution uses an interior and an exterior loop. The
interior loop uses a rotary encoder on the motor; its function is to
stabilize the motor only. The exterior loop uses a linear encoder to
read the actual position of the axis, and based on its readings,
adjusts the commands to the motor (interior loop).

This way the motor (interior loop) is stable and the position of the
axis (exterior loop) cancels any backlash and leadscrew error.

It is more expensive, (two loops, two encoders) and you must have
software that accomodates position feedback to make the error
adjustments based on the exterior loop.

If you can live with 0.001" to 0.0005" error, live with a single
loop, (encoder on the motor or the leadscrew for a toothed belt
reduction). If you need better, you need to go with a dual loop
system.

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Shane M Dwyer"
<dwyersm@p...> wrote:
> I have been looking around the groups, www, commercial vendor
sites,
> etc and have noticed that positional location feedback is always
> determined by an encoder mounted to the screw or motor. I can't
> figure out why the actual position of the object (table, workpiece,
> tool, or whatever)is not determined by a linear transducer, eg a
> scale not unlike one used with a dro.
> Wouldn't this be more precise. We are intending mostly to measure
> linear - planar, and not a rotating object's final position
afterall.

> And "final position" doesn't have to mean stationary, it means
final
> before the next reading, position update, polling, and so on.
>
> It is the object's location that we are currently interested in,
not
> the rotation of or position of the screw or screw motor spindle.
>
> Measuring the screw's location (ie. number of turns or part thereof)
> is not quite the same as the actual location of the work - due to
> sloppiness in anything, the screw, bearings, screwnuts, collars,
> retainers, gibs, gears, belt drives, transmissions, friction, etc .
>
> A positional feedback system derived from measurement upon the
actual
> article we are forcibly locating would then be somewhat immune to
the
> abovementioned sloppiness, wouldnt it?
>
> So why isnt it done?

Discussion Thread

Shane M Dwyer 2003-08-12 14:57:42 UTC Why not lineal feedback, instead of rotary encoders? Torsten 2003-08-12 16:28:43 UTC Re: Why not lineal feedback, instead of rotary encoders? Mariss Freimanis 2003-08-12 18:54:12 UTC Re: Why not lineal feedback, instead of rotary encoders? sam sokolik 2003-08-12 19:30:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Why not lineal feedback, instead of rotary encoders? Bill Kichman 2003-08-12 19:56:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Why not lineal feedback, instead of rotary encoders? Jon Elson 2003-08-12 22:16:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Why not lineal feedback, instead of rotary encoders? jcc3inc 2003-08-13 04:43:45 UTC Re: Why not lineal feedback, instead of rotary encoders?