CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Why not lineal feedback, instead of rotary encoders?

Posted by jcc3inc
on 2003-08-13 04:43:45 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Shane M Dwyer"
<dwyersm@p...> wrote:
> I have been looking around the groups, www, commercial vendor
sites,
> etc and have noticed that positional location feedback is always
> determined by an encoder mounted to the screw or motor. I can't
> figure out why the actual position of the object (table, workpiece,
> tool, or whatever)is not determined by a linear transducer, eg a
> scale not unlike one used with a dro.
> Wouldn't this be more precise. We are intending mostly to measure
> linear - planar, and not a rotating object's final position
afterall.
> -------
> And "> So why isnt it done?

Dear Sir:

You are on the right track if precision is your goal. In fact,
better systems DO use `direct' feedback with the result that the
accuracy improves. However problems do occur; the compliance and
backlash following the motor can cause the motor to hunt. This is
solved by using velocity feedback from the motor in a second loop
whose function is stability of the system.

If precision is NOT as important, using the motor encoder easily
solves the stability problem.

Regards,
Jack C.

Discussion Thread

Shane M Dwyer 2003-08-12 14:57:42 UTC Why not lineal feedback, instead of rotary encoders? Torsten 2003-08-12 16:28:43 UTC Re: Why not lineal feedback, instead of rotary encoders? Mariss Freimanis 2003-08-12 18:54:12 UTC Re: Why not lineal feedback, instead of rotary encoders? sam sokolik 2003-08-12 19:30:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Why not lineal feedback, instead of rotary encoders? Bill Kichman 2003-08-12 19:56:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Why not lineal feedback, instead of rotary encoders? Jon Elson 2003-08-12 22:16:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Why not lineal feedback, instead of rotary encoders? jcc3inc 2003-08-13 04:43:45 UTC Re: Why not lineal feedback, instead of rotary encoders?