CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EDM Rotation speed

on 2003-08-13 12:50:07 UTC
Hi Richard,

I plunged a hole using a 12 ga copper wire into a steel part as a
test and one of the results was that the wire was not perfectly
aligned. as the cut progressed, the side of the wire started to
expand the hole and the progress slowed as the surface area increased.

by rotating, it seems that a more perfectly round hole would be
created and possibly, the time would decrease?

you are correct in that any shaped hole would need not only a
straight plunge, but a perfectly straight plunge.

of course, electrode style enters into the equation.

Jon mentioned that he used a titanium electrode wire with a slight
bend in the end. that would have the effect of directing the
sparking action to a narrow section under the rotating wire.

since this is all new technology to me it seems there are some gaps
in my learning curve.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <phrh@w...> wrote:
> Dave,It seems that adding a spinning motion just complicates the
> process since one must also move the electrode up and down. When
> things are adjusted properly my stepper output shaft rotates back
and
> forth about 1/8th turn which results in the electrode moving up and
> down about 4 to 5 mils (like a sewing machine, at a pretty good
> clip). Wouldn't this have a similar effect to rotating the
electrode?
> And one would not want to rotate a square electrode<G>.
>
> The distance moved can be adjusted by setting the comparator
> reference voltages. I find that the method works really well.
>
> Richard

Discussion Thread

turbulatordude 2003-08-13 09:05:24 UTC EDM Rotation speed Vince Negrete 2003-08-13 09:17:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EDM Rotation speed turbulatordude 2003-08-13 10:30:49 UTC Re: EDM Rotation speed - intro to edm links Richard 2003-08-13 10:35:37 UTC Re: EDM Rotation speed turbulatordude 2003-08-13 12:50:07 UTC Re: EDM Rotation speed tomp_tag 2003-08-13 17:16:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EDM Rotation speed Jon Elson 2003-08-13 22:36:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EDM Rotation speed