CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Horzontal Mill cnc conversion

Robert Williams wrote:

>To anyone:
>
>Is Kerney & Treacer Model 1 1/2B, sprndle taper B&S #9, spendle speed 15-354 RPM suitable for hobby use?

I'm replying off-list, to avoid getting yelled at by Bill.

Umm, it depends on what your hobby is, I guess. If you want to rebuild
or make medium-large steam engines, then it might be a great tool! If
you want to make miniature R/C engines, or something like that, it might
not be very useful. The 354 RPM top speed is a big worry. I rarely run
tools that slow. I am working on some high speed spindles, as my
Bridgeport's
2720 RPM top speed is too slow for me. Running a 1/8" carbide end mill in
aluminum, 30,000 RPM is what is called for!

If there is a way to attach a Bridgeport or other vertical milling head
to it,
that may make it a much better all-around machine.

One other thing you need to consider is the condition of the ways. If the
machine is well worn, it will never perform up to its capability due to
slop in the table and saddle ways. If the ways are in good shape, that
makes it a much better candidate. Really think about the size of the
workpieces you will be working on, as a too-small motion range is a
situation you'll be kicking yourself about for years.

Oh, it is Kearney & Trecker, and this is a pretty old, maybe even
historic, machine!

Robert Williams 2003-08-27 13:15:06 UTC Horzontal Mill cnc conversion washcomp 2003-08-27 19:57:00 UTC Re: Horzontal Mill cnc conversion Jon Elson 2003-08-27 22:20:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Horzontal Mill cnc conversion Robert Williams 2003-08-28 04:50:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Horzontal Mill cnc conversion turbulatordude 2003-08-28 10:16:17 UTC Re: Horzontal Mill cnc conversion