CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 2nd Parrallel Port for laptop

d_bobzien wrote:

>Hello,
>Does anyone know how I can add another port to a Compaq laptop?
>I was trying the demo version of Mach2 and every thing was working ok,
>then my X+ limit switch started acting up. Everything seems to be
>working with the exception of pin 11. That was the pin for X+ limit
>switch. All other pins seem to be working but I can?t get the motors
>to run as smooth as they were. Any help or suggestions would be
>greatly appreciated.

If a pin on the parallel port is shot, it may be VERY hard, or VERY
expensive,
to get it fixed. Of course, you need to verify it really is the port,
and not
the switch or external wiring, etc. that is causing the problem.

Without a docking station with board slots, I don't think there is any
way to
add a new parallel port to the machine.

Smooth stepping may be tricky on laptops, due to all the "gadgets" that
are encrusted on them, like power management, reactive cooling (slow the
CPU down if it gets hot) and all sorts of special BIOS functions that
are below the OS. If you can, turn off the power management and
PCMCIA card control.

d_bobzien 2003-09-04 07:59:08 UTC 2nd Parrallel Port for laptop Jon Elson 2003-09-04 09:41:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 2nd Parrallel Port for laptop Markwayne 2003-09-04 13:25:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 2nd Parrallel Port for laptop chrlythb@a... 2003-09-05 00:05:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 2nd Parrallel Port for laptop Markwayne 2003-09-07 12:24:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 2nd Parrallel Port for laptop