CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC and legacy hardware

on 2003-09-05 04:15:35 UTC
Hi Thomas;

I can't speak from the perspective of EMC, but not all integrated
motherboards are the same. That does not mean that an NForce based
board won't work, just that it is a differrent implementation than the
Intel variety of a few years ago. Hopefully somebody that has
actually implemented one of these boards can add some quality
information. If not you could always volunteer to experiment.

Yes the fact that legacy hardware will soon disappear is an issue.
One the other hand I would not be surprised if we don't start to see
very low cost digital servo drives on the market. It would greatly
expand the possibilities open to amatures to have access to digital
drive technology. The simplicity of hooking up to an USB or firewire
port can not be underestimated. At some point the differrences in the
cost of digital and analog hardware will narrow to the point that it
won't matter.

Dave