CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Dumb question on TTL control of a relay from parallel port

Posted by Jeff Goldberg
on 2003-09-09 12:16:19 UTC
Thanks for the prompt advice. I came across a site (in Australia) which
offers the following board fully assembled for $47US delivered to the
States. I'm planning on using the interface with MACH1/2 and I assume the
outputs would be compatible. Please let me know if the circuit makes sense
and maybe I'll build a three relay version (all I really need). It might
cost almost the same by the time I get done buying the stuff from Digikey
and practicing my almost non-existent soldering skills on it.

http://www.kitsrus.com/pdf/k74.pdf

Thanks and regards,
Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Antonius J.M. Groothuizen [mailto:agroot@...]
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 10:23 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Dumb question on TTL control of a relay from
parallel port

You can use a transistor and clamping diode, or if you need multiple
outputs with this capability you can take a look at the ULN2003.

Parallax shows how to use the ULN2003 in the documentation available
on their website.

Tony

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "washcomp" <jeff@w...> wrote:
> I've got a parallel breakout board giving opto-isolated TTL level 5
> volts. I'd like to control a relay for my mist coolant. I can get
> 5 volt relay (typical coil current 30-60 ma), but I seem to
remember
> that TTL level isn't designed for the required current (?).
>
> If the above current is too high, is it best to try to find a
> miniature reed relay to control the coil of the "power relay" or is
> there a better way?
>
> Clueless in New York,
> Jeff

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

timg@...
Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... [Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
you have trouble.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM.
DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........ bill List
Mom List Owner