CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Converting text from .dxf...

Posted by cnchomeman
on 2003-09-12 19:34:23 UTC
Install the express tools off your autocad CD. This allows you to
explode text. The exploded text will convert fine. Use the .shx
fonts that come with autocad, as these seem to work best for
engraving. If you use a TTF, you will need to cleanup the text a
little as the letters will have a few extra lines. Also, exploded
TTF's end up being the outline of the font, so you get "hollow"
letters.

Note: when you explode Mtext, you get text. explode the same text
again, and you get lines.

You cant use the regular explode, you need the "explode text" tool in
the express tools. If you don't have the original CD, let me know
off list and I will see if I can find the download for you.

Click here for an example of some text done in autocad and displayed
in a gcode viewer: http://www.e-zflight.com/files/ncnczx.jpg

Eric

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "kettletrigger"
<kettletrigger@h...> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm a bit of a newbie to G-code programming and CNC in general,
but I'm stumped.
> I've been playing around with some CNC conversion programs, and
none of the Gcode
> converters will see the text in a .dxf file. I'm using "dxfout"
from Autocad2000. When
> I convert the file over to G-code, everything else shows up, but
none of the text. I've
> tried both GCode2000 and AceConverter. I've also tried the
Illustrator/convert to
> paths/export as .dxf as well... no dice.
> For parts/projects that don't involve any text creation, I'm
feeling pretty confident
> about the G-code programming. But for engraving work, or text that
needs to be
> milled on a part, I'm at a loss.
> Do I need a seperate text creation program, and can anyone
recommend (a freeware/
> shareware) one?
> Thanks,
>
> Jim
> Dana Point, CA

Discussion Thread

kettletrigger 2003-09-12 18:34:09 UTC Converting text from .dxf... cnchomeman 2003-09-12 19:34:23 UTC Re: Converting text from .dxf... ja_erickson 2003-09-12 19:51:25 UTC Re: Converting text from .dxf... Jon Elson 2003-09-12 20:32:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Converting text from .dxf... kettletrigger 2003-09-13 07:46:43 UTC Re: Converting text from .dxf...