CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Nuts and Volts Magazine

on 2003-09-16 22:51:14 UTC
Hi Bill;

I don't know about the issues in question, apparently I missed them.
What I can tell you is that I gave up on Nut and Volts a few years ago
due to higly variable quality of the articles found with in the
magazine. Some of the articles cover subject matter with a clarity
that was not matched elsewhere. On the other hand they would often
have articles that I would consider to be of questionable value.

There have been excellent articles in N&V covering basic electronincs
but don't be surprised if you find some chaft in with the rest of the
stuff. The old Heathkit basic electronic courses where good but they
aren't around any longer. I'm not sure if there is anything that fills
that void other than going to a book store or Radio Shack and buying a
couple of books. The other option is to audit a couple of courses at a
community college htough the quality here varies vastly. A little bit
of background in electronics can greatly smooth the path to an
understanding of CNC hardware.

I'm not sure what you mean by "plan out and execute the program".
You do understand that there are three differrent areas that have to
come together to get EMC up and runnning? First is the assembly of
electronic hardware that will sork correctly on the mechanical hardware
it is about to drive. Second you have to get EMC and a Linux
installation up and running. Finally you need to develope that
software that will drive the machine to make your parts. This last
part is the actual CNC code that is unique for each part. To sum it up
about a third of your effort involves hardware and elecronics and the
rest software.

Dave