CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: What kind of belt for router table?

Posted by jcc3inc
on 2003-09-28 06:37:25 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Tyson S."

Dear Sir:
Perhaps your mind is already made up, but I favor rack and pinion
drives. There is no problem with backlash as one can spring load the
pinion into the rack. We used rack and pinion exclusively on the CNC
plasma and oxyfuel cutting machines at the company I previously owned.
The "test bed" machine which I now have is rack and pinion. Gear rack
is quite accurate; at the company, I tested a 6 foot length of gear
rack from Standard Steel Specialties (we used theirs), and found an
error of .006 inches in a 6 foot length, quite good enough for plasma
cutting machines. The tested rack was 1/2 x 1/2, 24 DP, 20 degree
pressure angle (20 degree runs smoother than 14 1/2 degree).

Regards,
Jack C.

<timbercutter@y...> wrote:
> I am getting things sorted out to build a 4' x 4' cnc router table
> (maybe run some oxy/fuel cutting too) when I go to the Mcmaster
Carr
> web site and type in drive belt I get back 1,100 choices! which
type
> of material is best suited for so I get no backlash in the
belt/drive
> gear teeth mesh and can withstand being tight without stretching.
> some of the choices I see are pure urethane or stainless steel with
> nylon coating and rubber. I could not find any kevlar belts there
> though. thanks.

Discussion Thread

Tyson S. 2003-09-27 20:28:54 UTC What kind of belt for router table? jcc3inc 2003-09-28 06:37:25 UTC Re: What kind of belt for router table? Tyson S. 2003-09-28 09:50:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: What kind of belt for router table?