CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Looking for help in converying AutoCad 2002 to NC

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2003-10-23 05:03:16 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "shawnusa2002"
<shawnusa@e...> wrote:
> I need help. I know how to draw in Autocad 2002, but is there any
> special things I need to do like draw on diffrent layers or
> something to prepare my DXF for conversion to a NC file? Do they
> need to be saved in certain versions of DXF? The reason I ask is
> Autocad allows you to save DXF's in 2002, R14,R13,R12 and It seems
> most of the Demos for conversion don't even recognize anything but
> R12 DXF files. So fare all attempts have been a mess (mEaning, the
> CAM software produces odd results or the paths don't flow
correctly.

Shawn,

The most simple will be to draw 2D outlines to define your parts.
Since this is the usual method for cutting with flat bottom tools, it
will be sufficient to create instructions for programming your
machine and making parts. You don't need 3D solid models for
drilling, 2D contour milling, and pocketing. You don't want to use
DXF for 3D contouring as there are more standardized and compressed
file formats available (binary stl for example). Many converters and
even some CAM programs do not deal with 3D dxf files ( kind of like
Autocad Lt)

Autocad keeps constantly changing the DXF definitions. That's why
there are problems with some DXF import routines. The later the
release, the more likely that you will use some fancy drawing
technique that cannot be translated into G-code by a mindless
converter program.

R12 was I think one of the last DOS versions. It was very poplular,
but did not support a lot of fancy splines, bumps, and bulges.
Drawings exported into this format are automatically reduced to the
less complicated entities, which even amateur convertors can
understand and convert to G-code.

Use layers and colors to help you process the part. In most Cad-Cam
systems you can select by either feature and easily hide/blank
geometry that is not useful for the current programming step, or
maybe not at all. Some of the converters require that you delete
anything that is not pertinent to teh process, layers in your
original drawing will enable you to easily create sub drawings that
have only the contours needed for a particular process.

Vector Cad-Cam will handle nearly any geometry in a DXF file, whether
old or new release version (3D surfaces too). It is very adept at 2d
or 3d, and colors and layers enhance the usability of the DXF file.
It is also very reasonably priced and you can be making parts within
the same day that you start to learn. However, It will take you a
considerable time to learn it all, as it includes lathe, mill, 4 axis
wire edm, table process machines and many special tools for each
machining process.

Vector gets it's name from the fact that YOU control the order and
direction of selection and that is also the same way the machining
occurs. Drawing order and direction is irrelevant to manufacturing,
as it should be.

Fred Smith - IMService
Group specials and discounts:
http://www.imsrv.com/hobby

Discussion Thread

shawnusa2002 2003-10-22 17:20:56 UTC Looking for help in converying AutoCad 2002 to NC Robert Campbell 2003-10-22 19:35:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for help in converying AutoCad 2002 to NC Bill Kichman 2003-10-22 20:19:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for help in converying AutoCad 2002 to NC Fred Smith 2003-10-23 05:03:16 UTC Re: Looking for help in converying AutoCad 2002 to NC Cardinal.Eng 2003-10-23 18:39:04 UTC Re: Looking for help in converying AutoCad 2002 to NC wanliker@a... 2003-10-23 19:26:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Looking for help in converying AutoCad 2002 to NC