CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Denford CNC Starmill Advice Sought

Posted by paragon032003
on 2003-11-02 08:19:49 UTC
Thanks for the info Les.

One thing that has just occurred to me is that the software was on
3.5 diskettes not the old BBC micro 5 1/4 from memory it was call
Millcam Designer hopefully this is for PC the dongle connects to the
printer port. I assumed it was for a BBC but hopefully I could be
wrong.

Regards
Steve.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Les Newell" <lesnewell@f...>
wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> The mill can be converted to PC control. I have an Orac and a Triac
and they
> are nice solid machines.
> By the looks of it the Starmill is pretty much a scaled down Triac.
It uses
> stepper drives and I am pretty sure it uses ballscrews.
>
> There is some info here http://www.desktopcnc.com/olddenford.htm
Apparently
> the Starmill is still made under licence by MTAB india
> http://www.mtabindia.com so spares are probably available.
>
> It sounds like an excellent machine to convert. I would buy it if
it is the
> right price.
>

> Les
>

> > Dear Group,
> >
> > I have been offered a Denford CNC Starmill and am in need of
> > information before
> > parting with my hard earned cash.
> >
> > Here is what I know thus far...
> >
> > It appears to quite old as the software and dongle is for a BBC
micro
> > I am assuming it was manufactured sometime in the 80's.
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea if this machine can be converted to run
on
> > a PC
> > using EMC or such like?
> >
> > Does this machine use ballscrews?
> > Stepper motor's or servos?
> > How accurate where these machines when new or in good order etc
etc?

> > Any information / help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Steve.

Discussion Thread

paragon032003 2003-11-02 02:59:18 UTC Denford CNC Starmill Advice Sought Les Newell 2003-11-02 04:08:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Denford CNC Starmill Advice Sought paragon032003 2003-11-02 08:19:49 UTC Re: Denford CNC Starmill Advice Sought GLM590620@A... 2003-11-03 14:16:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Denford CNC Starmill Advice Sought paragon032003 2003-11-03 14:43:57 UTC Re: Denford CNC Starmill Advice Sought