CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Tabel to spindle clearance of small CNC Mill

Posted by Kim Lux
on 2003-11-05 07:19:46 UTC
This might seem like a wise ass answer, but the more Z travel the
better. We've got a mill here with 15 inches of Z travel and it isn't
enough. Yesterday we had to bore a deep hole (passage) in the end of an
8" block. We had *just* enough room to do it:

vice: 3"
block: 8"
drill bit: 6", but only 4" sticking out of the collet. It was stuck all
the way in the collet, right up to the drawbar threads. To get the hole
depth we needed, we had to drill a bit then lower the bit in the collet
and drill some more. We could hardly clear the chips out of the hole
because the fluting just cleared the block.

Yes, we might have gained 3" of travel by not using the vice. We could
have used an angle plate... However, what if I would have needed to use
a boring head on that hole ?

There are lots of bargains on used Bridgeports and China made clones out
there. Given the price of "table top" mills and the price of the fore
mentioned mills, I'd much, much have one of the latter machines,
especially when it will be CNC'd.

"When betting on two boxers of otherwise equal talents, abilities, PICK
THE BIGGER ONE."

Kim