CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: z axis drive question

Posted by tclay_35117
on 2003-11-12 20:57:41 UTC
Dave,

You are looking for a simple answer to a complex question.

Think of it this way. A servo motor is nothing more than a DC motor
with an feedback device (encoder) attached to it. A servo motor is
nothing like a stepper motor. One way of visualizing it is that a
servo motor is similar to a analog signal(continuos) and a stepper
motor is like a digital signal(discrete).

Now as to how this relates to an encoder. By its very nature, an
encoder outputs a 'digital' signal. If you have a 1000 ppr (pulse
per revolution) encoder, and the servo system uses quadrature
feedback, in effect you have sliced one revolution into 4000 pieces.

To determine your system resolution, use the calculations provided by
the previous gentleman. If you determine that the calculated
resolution is not acceptable, you would add a gear head to the system
to increase the resolution (or use a higher lead ballscrew). (A
gearhead is also used to match inertias between the motor and load).

Now as to your question regarding commutation. The commutation does
not affect the position of the rotor (although you will be subject
to 'cogging' at very low speeds). Why it doesn't affect it is as
follows: If the system is tuned properly, the motion controller will
take the system error (the difference between the commanded position
and the actual (encoder) feedback position) and apply
a 'compensating' voltage to that error using the tuning parameters Kp
Kd and Ki so that the the motor moves to a position where the error
is theoretically zero (you will always have some error in the actual
versus commanded position.........that is know as following error).
The motion controller looks at all these parameters once per loop
update time (high performance motion controllers typically have loop
update times of 62.5 micro seconds). In other words, the drive will
apply compensating voltages to the motor every 62.5 microseconds.
Although you don't see it, the shaft is moving back and forth many
times per second (this is where the 'servo whine' comes from).

A side note about gearheads: General practice in the Industrial
Automation industry is to design a servo system such that the motor
runs on average between 2000 to 3000. Below 500 rpm the motor is
subject to cogging, and most servo motors will not run above 5000 rpm
or so.

Hope I didn't confuse you.

Tommy

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Fisher" <dave@d...>

wanliker@a...,
> timg@k...
> > Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... [Moderators]
> >
> > OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> > If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
reach it if
> you have trouble.
> > http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

to be a
> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT
> subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
> >
> > NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY
POSTING THEM.
> DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> > bill
> > List Mom
> > List Owner
> >

> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Discussion Thread

Dave Fisher 2003-11-12 17:22:32 UTC z axis drive question turbulatordude 2003-11-12 18:03:49 UTC Re: z axis drive question Dave Fisher 2003-11-12 18:31:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: z axis drive question tclay_35117 2003-11-12 20:57:41 UTC Re: z axis drive question Jon Elson 2003-11-12 22:42:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] z axis drive question Jon Elson 2003-11-12 22:48:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: z axis drive question bitnick78 2003-11-13 01:27:35 UTC Re: z axis drive question John Johnson 2003-11-13 07:27:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: z axis drive question Jon Elson 2003-11-13 09:02:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: z axis drive question