CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: PIC Based DRO

on 2000-04-05 14:42:23 UTC
Hi,
Guess its time I jumped back into this disussion. As many of you remember,
I was recently did a setup using a PC and Steve Lindsey's program with
inexpensive 1000 line rotary encoders. Then entire setup cost me in
hardware, less than $200 and most of that was for the used PC! I used a
cable setup to drive the encoders directly from the the axis movement to
eliminate the backlash problem and am more than satisfied with the
accuracy. OK, in the world of precision; it may not be that great, but it
is sure far more accurate than what I was getting using the dials on the
mill/drill (especially when trying to remember how many turns and and which
direction the backlash was).

The project was fun to do and I learned a lot from it. I have also ended up
with a far more accurate machine that allows me to produce pieces parts
that look alot better and function better. (bolt holes line up now). As for
the feeling that a PC takes up to much room, consider an old lap top or
mount the PC box in an up and out of the way area (I will be using the
space in the trusses of my shop) and mount only the monitor and keyboard on
some sort of pendant to have the "working" parts at a convienent level.
After all, isn't that what this group is about ---- inovation?

Later,

Art

At 03:50 PM 04/05/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>So given the cost difference between rotary encoders and linear encoders and
>the desire to have DRO functionality on a small lathe or mill in a home shop
>(at a cost that is not multiple times the cost of the lathe or mill).

<snip>
OLDER THAN DIRT

Country Bubba

(Actually the inventor of Country and Bubba)

Discussion Thread

beer@s... 2000-04-05 11:59:59 UTC Re: PIC Based DRO jguenthe 2000-04-05 12:48:38 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: PIC Based DRO A. G. Eckstein 2000-04-05 14:42:23 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: PIC Based DRO james owens 2000-04-05 15:08:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: PIC Based DRO james owens 2000-04-05 15:09:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: PIC Based DRO ptengin@a... 2000-04-05 20:33:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: PIC Based DRO Tim Barnard 2000-04-05 20:38:22 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: PIC Based DRO