CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: For the surfboard guys

on 2003-11-25 18:13:31 UTC
Unless you have a 4th axis to rotate the board you'll be wasting your
time with CNC. You will find two things to be true.

1. Once you go from a block of material to a free form shape you
will never be able to hold it in the proper position.

2. The second you unclamp anything or remove it from a referenced
axis you will spend a huge amount of time getting it referenced again.

The key to any CNC application is to let the machine do as much work
as posible in a single shot.

so, back to the design part.

Ditch the "table" and mount a rotary axis in it's place.

We're wandering into off-limit take though, if you want contact me
offline at admin@... and we'll continue this.

Thanks
Aaron Moss
www.IndustrialHobbies.com

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "surfbuilder2003"
<mek0002@a...> wrote:
> Hello Aaron,
>
> I am trying to put together one of these tables. This project will
be
> long running as I am very new at cnc. Basically this is the first
> time I have heard servo or stepper. I am only building my table as
> 3 axis and plan to turn the board over once one side is cut out.
Does
> this sound prctical? I cant image being able to afix the board so
it
> wont move but also have it rotate to cut all sides. What do you
think?

> Mike
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "industrialhobbies"
> <admin@i...> wrote:
> > Got a couple of questions:
> >
> > I'm guessing that since your making a 3d product (surfboards)
your
> > both making table-less gantry's i.e. no actual table just a open
> > space in the center. A 4th axis would run parallel to the X-
axis.
> > This axis would rotate the block of foam to expose all sides of
the
> > foam to the cutter. Is this your idea?
> >

> > Next question
> >
> > How long should it take to cut out a board?
> >
> > That's all.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Aaron Moss
> > www.IndustrialHobbies.com

Discussion Thread

industrialhobbies 2003-11-24 19:13:39 UTC For the surfboard guys wanliker@a... 2003-11-24 19:51:00 UTC For the surfboard guys surfbuilder2003 2003-11-25 05:39:42 UTC Re: For the surfboard guys industrialhobbies 2003-11-25 18:13:31 UTC Re: For the surfboard guys John Delaney 2003-11-25 19:07:11 UTC Re: For the surfboard guys - OT? ballendo 2003-11-26 03:29:39 UTC For all CNC guys AND Re: For the surfboard guys ajv2803959 2003-11-27 02:05:42 UTC For all CNC guys AND Re: For the surfboard guys