CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

For all CNC guys AND Re: For the surfboard guys

Posted by ajv2803959
on 2003-11-27 02:05:42 UTC
I agree totally with Ballendo.
Have a look at manuals for DeskProto. There is strategy about make
sculpting with 3 axis. So finally a surfboard is an sculpted form.

4 axis is a added value but is not strictly necesary.

Best Regards

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "ballendo" <ballendo@y...>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> You can see a picture of the type of machine Aron is talking about
> (but vertically oriented) at the bottom of the home page of Cyber-
> NC.com
>
> If you're willing to shape the ends of the board by hand, then the
> 4th axis idea is fine. (If you're going to shape them by CNC, you
> have the same problem of re-fixturing that Aron mentions...
>
> But I disagree with his approach for surfboards. And what I'll say
> next has use for ALL types of CNC work and machines.
>
> It is a simple matter to include reference points, or planes, or
> protrusions, which allow the part (board) to be accurately re-
> positioned for a second series of cuts. The final cuts will remove
> these fixturing "features". In fact, this is one of the key elements
> of successful cnc part programming. Doing a good job of it will lead
> to having the best use of a given machine...
>
> I'd do the board in two sides...
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Ballendo
>
> P.S. An alternative approach also widely used is to have SEPARATE
> parts designed and CNC cut which "cradle" the first side. A holding
> fixture. This is especially useful if there are portions of
> your "parts" (boards) which remain the same whilst other areas
> change.
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "surfbuilder2003"
> <mek0002@a...> wrote:
> > Hello Aaron,
> >
> > I am trying to put together one of these tables. This project will
> be
> > long running as I am very new at cnc. Basically this is the first
> > time I have heard servo or stepper. I am only building my table as
> > 3 axis and plan to turn the board over once one side is cut out.
> Does
> > this sound prctical? I cant image being able to afix the board so
> it
> > wont move but also have it rotate to cut all sides. What do you
> think?
> >
> > Mike

Discussion Thread

industrialhobbies 2003-11-24 19:13:39 UTC For the surfboard guys wanliker@a... 2003-11-24 19:51:00 UTC For the surfboard guys surfbuilder2003 2003-11-25 05:39:42 UTC Re: For the surfboard guys industrialhobbies 2003-11-25 18:13:31 UTC Re: For the surfboard guys John Delaney 2003-11-25 19:07:11 UTC Re: For the surfboard guys - OT? ballendo 2003-11-26 03:29:39 UTC For all CNC guys AND Re: For the surfboard guys ajv2803959 2003-11-27 02:05:42 UTC For all CNC guys AND Re: For the surfboard guys