CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

For all CNC guys AND Re: For the surfboard guys

Posted by ballendo
on 2003-11-26 03:29:39 UTC
Hello,

You can see a picture of the type of machine Aron is talking about
(but vertically oriented) at the bottom of the home page of Cyber-
NC.com

If you're willing to shape the ends of the board by hand, then the
4th axis idea is fine. (If you're going to shape them by CNC, you
have the same problem of re-fixturing that Aron mentions...

But I disagree with his approach for surfboards. And what I'll say
next has use for ALL types of CNC work and machines.

It is a simple matter to include reference points, or planes, or
protrusions, which allow the part (board) to be accurately re-
positioned for a second series of cuts. The final cuts will remove
these fixturing "features". In fact, this is one of the key elements
of successful cnc part programming. Doing a good job of it will lead
to having the best use of a given machine...

I'd do the board in two sides...

Hope this helps,

Ballendo

P.S. An alternative approach also widely used is to have SEPARATE
parts designed and CNC cut which "cradle" the first side. A holding
fixture. This is especially useful if there are portions of
your "parts" (boards) which remain the same whilst other areas
change.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "surfbuilder2003"
<mek0002@a...> wrote:
> Hello Aaron,
>
> I am trying to put together one of these tables. This project will
be
> long running as I am very new at cnc. Basically this is the first
> time I have heard servo or stepper. I am only building my table as
> 3 axis and plan to turn the board over once one side is cut out.
Does
> this sound prctical? I cant image being able to afix the board so
it
> wont move but also have it rotate to cut all sides. What do you
think?

> Mike

Discussion Thread

industrialhobbies 2003-11-24 19:13:39 UTC For the surfboard guys wanliker@a... 2003-11-24 19:51:00 UTC For the surfboard guys surfbuilder2003 2003-11-25 05:39:42 UTC Re: For the surfboard guys industrialhobbies 2003-11-25 18:13:31 UTC Re: For the surfboard guys John Delaney 2003-11-25 19:07:11 UTC Re: For the surfboard guys - OT? ballendo 2003-11-26 03:29:39 UTC For all CNC guys AND Re: For the surfboard guys ajv2803959 2003-11-27 02:05:42 UTC For all CNC guys AND Re: For the surfboard guys