CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: wave drive

Posted by tbarros@c...
on 2003-12-16 20:10:37 UTC
Hi CNCers and WaveDrivers,

i never heard term: "wave drive" B 4...(?)

so i googled...."wave drive" "stepper motor"

this is what i found....

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ih/doc/stepper/control2/connect.html

http://www.tecel.com/data/l297.pdf

http://techtran.msfc.nasa.gov/tech_ops/motorcontrol.pdf

http://us.st.com/stonline/books/ascii/docs/1650.htm

http://209.41.165.153/stepper/Tutorials/BiTutor.html

http://www.allegromicro.com/sf/5804/
---good info on how wavedrive implemented---

http://www.super-tech.com/root/motors.htm
---good info on steppers and WD---

Circia's Circuit Celler published an issue that had a stepper
controller and how steppers worked.
Maybe it was Byte Magazine? i can't remember

http://picbasic.com/products/books/stbook.htm
---i don't have this book, but if U want to try building---
---your own stepper controller, this is an excellent book---
---the other books in this series for PICs are good also---

U can purchase all of the books here---
http://www.rentron.com/PicBasic/Easy-Stepn.htm

http://kitsrus.com/pdf/k113.pdf
---this is a pdf that has theory/connecting steppers AWA
complete schematics---check out all the other kits!!

http://micromouse.cannock.ac.uk/motors/
---lots of interesting info---

was looking into building my own stepper driver,
but got a Xylotex/Sherline combo, so i don't have to
that's all for now....
Back to the Sherline setup...
tb

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Art <fenerty@a...> wrote:
> John:

> It doesn't really. But most wave drive is digital, not
proportional. The
> wave drive systems most commonly found are as in the MaxNC type of
> controller. It accepts a 4 signals, which are usally just
transistors which
> give full current when switched on and none when off. While this can
work
> well with the proper control sequence, it is generally a poor system of
> control for a couple of reasons, one, it requires 4 pins of control
for each
> motor. Second, the current in most wave drives is not chopper
controlled,
> but simply resistive limited. This makes matching the driver to the
motor
> very important and even when matched power is wasted in the limiting
> resistors. While your right, in theory, that it could be done
correctly and
> have the same responce, step/dir is the best solution in practical
use. It
> is arguable that microstep is really a fancy wave drive when you
consider
> only the final output stage, the properties that make wave drive
ineffective
> for most uses are the complexity of its implementation from a control
> perspective. The simplest step/dir controls are wave drive, they
simply have
> a sequencer in their front end. True microstep is the proportional
control
> you describe. I guess its all a matter of semantics.., but for
speed, you
> cannot beat microstep due to the phase changes from step to step
being much
> less pronounced , therefore being much more tolerant to phase
variations in
> the input pulse stream. This helps keeps resonance down to a minimum and
> allows for greater speed.
>
> Just my opinion of course, haven't met a wave drive guy yet who
doesn't like
> microstep better in a comparison test though...
> Art
> www.artofcnc.ca

Discussion Thread

asigraph@b... 2003-12-16 11:53:31 UTC wave drive Art 2003-12-16 16:01:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] wave drive John Haddy 2003-12-16 16:18:17 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] wave drive Art 2003-12-16 18:21:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] wave drive tbarros@c... 2003-12-16 20:10:37 UTC Re: wave drive Jon Elson 2003-12-16 20:46:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] wave drive mariss92705@y... 2003-12-16 21:18:08 UTC Re: wave drive Dan Mauch 2003-12-17 05:58:51 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: wave drive ballendo@y... 2003-12-17 06:29:04 UTC Re: wave drive