CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Cable shielding - will this work for testing purposes?

Posted by Robin Szemeti
on 2004-01-03 06:00:44 UTC
On Friday 02 January 2004 03:07, Pete S wrote:

> What I would like to know is can I use the wires and connectors from a
> couple of dead ATX power supply I have lying about for testing these drives
> before I shell out for good cable, connectors, pins, etc.? Cable length
> can be kept to about 6" if this helps.

Sure .. go right ahead.

For short lenghts it will be fine. And for testing, even if it did miss a
step, who cares. Mariss has even had good results with long lengths .. but
its not recommended generally.

the point is : in a production situation with the proper shielding, the
results will be guaranteed good. Its the law. with short lenghts you'll be
99% certain to be OK. Fine for testing and bench lash ups, but you would't
want to put it into service like that. With long lengths? maybe you are
luccky and its fine today, tomorow, who knows.

Fire it up and find out anyway, whats the worst that can happen? a few
missing pulses??