CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question for Kim Lux

Posted by Kim Lux
on 2004-01-05 12:59:28 UTC
On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 12:02, Robin Szemeti wrote:
> On Monday 05 January 2004 16:02, Kim Lux wrote:
> > I'd like to "over voltage" the motors so that they can run at a higher
> > speed. These motors have significant armature resistance and with a 40V
> > power supply we run out of supply voltage long before we are anywhere
> > near the peak current of the motors.
>
> wrong solution, infact you still haven't stated exactly what 'problem' you
> are trying to address

You seem to be a pretty knowledgeable individual considering you don't
know what the "problem" is !

I stated that I would like the motors to run faster than they do
presently.

> if at max rated voltage the motors are not providing the speed you need out
> of your machine and are pulling well below max rated current, then the answer
> is to lower the gearing. Over-volting your motors won't 'solve' anyhting.

The motors are already direct driving the screws. The issue is that the
motors have more torque than they really need and also run slower than I
would like.

> If you are already achieving the speeds you need, but feel that the max
> current capabilities of your motors are never being used, then you have
> simply over-specced your motors.

Or not... The Amatek motors that I am running don't have hard specs...
Kv is 1800 RPM for 40V input = 22ishV/1000RPM Max current is stated as
10A. I suspect that the 40V was arrived at as being the max voltage for
which it was impossible to exceed an armature current of 10A, ie I
suspect that the armature resistance is about 4 ohms. Using the motor
in conjunction with a current controlled voltage source (ie a Gecko 320)
allows the motor to be operated at a higher voltage without inducing any
damage because:

a) the controller (G320) will change the pulse width to achieve the
desired motor speed. They are rated for 1800 RPM and I'd like to see
2500 RPM or so.

b) the controller will limit the current according to the setting on the
current limiting pot.

> When correctly geared and appropriatly loaded, you will find that you can
> pull maximum rated current at or below the rated voltage, trying to correct
> you miscalculation of gearing by running the motors out of spec will not
> benefit anyone, except perhaps the motor salesmen. Remember, two wrongs do
> not make a right.

Where do you get your knowledge from ? Provided the windings don't fly
apart, operating the motor at a higher voltage isn't going to harm
anything.

Motor speed = Varm/Kv
= (Vterm - Iarm*Rarm)/Kv

Lets say that the motor is pulling 5 amps when running at the fastest
speed it will allow: Varm = 40V - 5A*4ohm = 20V. At this current the
motor will run only 900 RPM.

If I increase the power supply voltage to 60V, I can run a lot faster
because Varm will be higher.

I've never seen these motors get hot, or even warm. Increasing the
supply voltage isn't going to make the motors run warmer at the current
speeds because the controller will still be providing the same
current/voltage to them. They *MIGHT* run warm/hot at higher loads (ie
higher speeds), but I'll find that out when I actually run them fast.

--
Kim Lux <lux@...>

Discussion Thread

ja_erickson 2003-12-22 15:59:38 UTC Question for Kim Lux Kim Lux 2003-12-23 08:14:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Question for Kim Lux industrialhobbies 2003-12-23 18:36:54 UTC Re: Question for Kim Lux Kim Lux 2004-01-05 08:46:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question for Kim Lux Robin Szemeti 2004-01-05 11:19:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question for Kim Lux Kim Lux 2004-01-05 12:59:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question for Kim Lux Bob McKnight 2004-01-05 15:21:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question for Kim Lux Kim Lux 2004-01-05 16:11:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question for Kim Lux Robin Szemeti 2004-01-05 17:27:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question for Kim Lux Gregory Kamysz 2004-01-05 21:12:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question for Kim Lux Kim Lux 2004-01-06 08:31:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question for Kim Lux