CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Home switch testing?

on 2004-01-05 17:27:53 UTC
It's the wrong kind of switch. Fairchild sells some
called "photologic" which is made do directly connect to a TTL
(Parallel Port). They have all the support circutiry inside and
hookup is a snap. the ones you have gives a transistor out, which
means unless you put it in a totally IR shielded box readings will
change based on ambient light.

The second problem is they are very prone to contamination, which
makes them dificult to use.

Late this week I will post on www.IndustrialHobbies.com the optical
limits I sell, they are basicically a block of aluminium with the
sensors inside. Thier a pain in the rear to make as everything has
to be sealed, and oringed. The good part is when thier well made
thier pretty much bullet proof.

Just my two cents.

Thanks
Aaron Moss
www.IndustrialHobbies.com

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Torsten" <torsten@g...>
wrote:
> Hi, I just received some slotted opto sensors
> that I was planning on using for home sensors
> on my retrofit.
> This is where I got them from.
>
> http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?
> category=435&item=OSU-50&type=store
>
> They have 4 leads on the bottom two are for 6 volt
> power + and - and the other 2 are suppost to be
> a normaly closed switch wich is disrupted when a
> deflective object is penetrating the slot.
> With my obvious limited knowledge about electronics
> I tryed to hook the sensor up to test its function
> using a couple of D cell batterys a 6 volt powersupply
> a small voltage lightbulb and a multytester for electronics.
> I have not been able to get this sensor to do any kind
> of verifyable disruption yet.
> I tested on 2 of the leads was continuety so I figured
> this must be the switch side.
> Testing to disrupt the lightbulb did not work in any of the
> various ways I tryed to set this up.
> Could any of the more electricly gifted persons please point
> out what I am doing wrong here.
> I suspect this may not work the way I think it would.
> The 2 sensing leads are suppost to be hooked up on 2 pins
> of the Parallel port of the PC, have not tryed this yet.
> How could I set this up for testing.

Discussion Thread

Torsten 2004-01-04 21:45:49 UTC Home switch testing? Harvey White 2004-01-04 22:46:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Home switch testing? james_cullins@s... 2004-01-05 06:33:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Home switch testing? james_cullins@s... 2004-01-05 06:34:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Home switch testing? Torsten 2004-01-05 14:00:58 UTC Re: Home switch testing? Harvey White 2004-01-05 17:13:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Home switch testing? industrialhobbies 2004-01-05 17:27:53 UTC Re: Home switch testing? Torsten 2004-01-15 15:00:26 UTC Re: Home switch testing?