CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC Jr Kit, can it be done cheaper?

on 2004-01-05 17:47:25 UTC
CNC is an expensive hobby to start and there are a number of
companies that sell kits for some serious money. If you really know
your stuff you can probably put together something for about $500 to
$600 an axis but you REALLY better know your stuff.

The important thing to understand is, when you buy a kit, the company
on the other side is on the hook to make it work. When you make it …
well it's you. These lists are full of folks who cooked it, killed
it, and some; a brave few who made it all come together well. Having
to tell the little woman that it didn't work right after all those
late nights is devastating at best, and kills the project altogether
at worst.

Whether you but a kit from Industrial Hobbies or MicroKenitics, those
other guys you mentioned just make sure they will guarantee it will
work for you.

If you want to shoot the CNC bull please feel free to give me a call
anytime before 11P EST at 207-637-2523, it's a work phone so don't
feel weird about calling late. I won't try to sell anything. :)

BTW. CNC does NOT stand for Computer Numeric Control it stands for
Cash Not Credit. :) (it's expensive for suppliers too)

Thanks
Aaron Moss
www.IndustrialHobbies.com

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <kumaichi@y...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> New to the group and also new to the CNC world. I'm looking into
> getting a CNC machine and was wondering if anyone has experience
with
> the CNC Jr machine at www.cncmasters.com? The machine itself looks
> like the grizzly machine that one can buy for around $2000. On the
> cncmasters website, they sell a cnc conversion kit for around
$4000.
> Does anyone know of a similar kit that would be cheaper? Or, any
> sites that would give some guidance so I could do it myself?
>
> I've also considered the smaller mills like the Taig or Sherline
but
> I'm worried that I will outgrow those machines too quickly.
>
> Thanks for any ideas,
>
> Craig

Discussion Thread

Craig 2004-01-05 08:45:01 UTC CNC Jr Kit, can it be done cheaper? afogassa 2004-01-05 10:21:52 UTC Re: CNC Jr Kit, can it be done cheaper? industrialhobbies 2004-01-05 17:47:25 UTC Re: CNC Jr Kit, can it be done cheaper? Craig 2004-01-07 06:12:13 UTC Re: CNC Jr Kit, can it be done cheaper? industrialhobbies 2004-01-07 14:14:39 UTC Re: CNC Jr Kit, can it be done cheaper?