CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC Jr Kit, can it be done cheaper?

Posted by Craig
on 2004-01-07 06:12:13 UTC
Thanks for all the excellent suggestions. I think the Industrial
Hobbies xy kit will do the trick for me.

Aaron, I'll give you a call after I get my tax return this year :-).
Also, I noticed there was no information about the Z axis on your
website. Does anyone have suggestions for the best way to include
that axis in the design?

Thanks again,

Craig

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "industrialhobbies"
<admin@i...> wrote:
> CNC is an expensive hobby to start and there are a number of
> companies that sell kits for some serious money. If you really
know
> your stuff you can probably put together something for about $500
> $600 an axis but you REALLY better know your stuff.
>
> The important thing to understand is, when you buy a kit, the
company
> on the other side is on the hook to make it work. When you make it
…
> well it's you. These lists are full of folks who cooked it, killed
> it, and some; a brave few who made it all come together well.
Having
> to tell the little woman that it didn't work right after all those
> late nights is devastating at best, and kills the project
altogether
> at worst.
>
> Whether you but a kit from Industrial Hobbies or MicroKenitics,
those
> other guys you mentioned just make sure they will guarantee it will
> work for you.
>
> If you want to shoot the CNC bull please feel free to give me a
call
> anytime before 11P EST at 207-637-2523, it's a work phone so don't
> feel weird about calling late. I won't try to sell anything. :)
>
> BTW. CNC does NOT stand for Computer Numeric Control it stands for
> Cash Not Credit. :) (it's expensive for suppliers too)
>

> Thanks
> Aaron Moss
> www.IndustrialHobbies.com
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <kumaichi@y...>
wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > New to the group and also new to the CNC world. I'm looking into
> > getting a CNC machine and was wondering if anyone has experience
> with
> > the CNC Jr machine at www.cncmasters.com? The machine itself
looks
> > like the grizzly machine that one can buy for around $2000. On
the
> > cncmasters website, they sell a cnc conversion kit for around
> $4000.
> > Does anyone know of a similar kit that would be cheaper? Or, any
> > sites that would give some guidance so I could do it myself?
> >
> > I've also considered the smaller mills like the Taig or Sherline
> but
> > I'm worried that I will outgrow those machines too quickly.
> >
> > Thanks for any ideas,
> >
> > Craig

Discussion Thread

Craig 2004-01-05 08:45:01 UTC CNC Jr Kit, can it be done cheaper? afogassa 2004-01-05 10:21:52 UTC Re: CNC Jr Kit, can it be done cheaper? industrialhobbies 2004-01-05 17:47:25 UTC Re: CNC Jr Kit, can it be done cheaper? Craig 2004-01-07 06:12:13 UTC Re: CNC Jr Kit, can it be done cheaper? industrialhobbies 2004-01-07 14:14:39 UTC Re: CNC Jr Kit, can it be done cheaper?