CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Flexible Couplers on Retrofit?

Posted by Peter Renolds
on 2004-01-08 11:25:50 UTC
Todd, you need flexible couplers unless you want to break something - or
unless you can (lathe) turn and mount parts with extremely high
concentricity. Things will bind if they're out of alignment.

If you're strapped for cash, why not consider using a slightly flexible
material like a high durometer polyurethane rod and turn them out of
that? You should still be able to drill and install set screws if you
make the OD large, relative to your shafts. Quite honestly $20 a pop
sounds pretty good to me! My 3 helical zero-backlash couplers for a
Bridgeport sized mill set me back over a hundred each!

Cheers, Peter

Todd Meidinger wrote:

>I am in the process of putting together a CNC retrofit Mill using a
>Xylotex controller and NEMA 23 116 oz./in steppers from Jeff. I am
>putting this on the $279 s axis machine that Central makes/sells. I
>know for this price it can't be the best in the world but I am not
>looking for that right now. I figure I am going to have just over
>$500 into the entire setup when I am done. Get what yo pay for I
>guess.
>
>Will I need flexible couplers from the steppers to the screw? I was
>looking at flex couplers and they are about $20 a pop for the ones I

Discussion Thread

Todd Meidinger 2004-01-08 10:59:49 UTC Flexible Couplers on Retrofit? Peter Renolds 2004-01-08 11:25:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Flexible Couplers on Retrofit? Steven Ciciora 2004-01-08 16:18:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Flexible Couplers on Retrofit? washcomp 2004-01-08 16:53:37 UTC Re: Flexible Couplers on Retrofit? Robin Szemeti 2004-01-08 20:29:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Flexible Couplers on Retrofit? jeffalanp 2004-01-09 09:40:14 UTC Re: Flexible Couplers on Retrofit?