CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Flexible Couplers on Retrofit?

Posted by washcomp
on 2004-01-08 16:53:37 UTC
On my Bridgeport, the original NC converter used rigid couplings
from the NEMA 42 steppers to the screw shafts. The way they added
flexability was overdrill the four motor mounting bolt holes. They
inserted a piece of neoprene tubing. A thin nylon sleeve was
inserted into the tubing (either as a buffer or just as a spacer -
I'm not sure). Then the bolts slip fit through the nylon sleeve.
If the motor is missaligned, there is a little flex in the mounts.
I've never heard of anyone else doing this (but then there's a lot
of uniqueness about this machine's design besides this).

Anyone have an opinion on this scheme?

Jeff

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Steven Ciciora
<sciciora@A...> wrote:
> I assume you know about:
>
> You could try to do a solid coupler, but by the fact that you
asked, I
> would guess you won't be happy with the results. You _really_
need to get
> it perfectly aligned. The fact that commercial machines use flex
couplers
> tells us something.
>
> Something quick and dirty, and on par with the accuracy of the
machine is
> to use a flexible hose between the motor and lead screw, and hose
clamps on
> both ends. Later if you feel it is a limiting factor, you can
upgrade it.

> Please read the above newsgroup. All sorts of good suggestions on
how to
> clean up your machine, eliminate friction, back lash, etc. Your
motors
> will be a bit small to do fast rapids (don't expect 20ipm), but
the price
> was right, and the xylotex driver will support bigger motors in
the future.

> - Steven Ciciora
>
> At 02:26 PM 1/8/2004 -0500, you wrote:
> >Todd, you need flexible couplers unless you want to break
something - or
> >unless you can (lathe) turn and mount parts with extremely high
> >concentricity. Things will bind if they're out of alignment.
> >
> >If you're strapped for cash, why not consider using a slightly
flexible
> >material like a high durometer polyurethane rod and turn them out
of
> >that? You should still be able to drill and install set screws
if you
> >make the OD large, relative to your shafts. Quite honestly $20 a
pop
> >sounds pretty good to me! My 3 helical zero-backlash couplers
for a
> >Bridgeport sized mill set me back over a hundred each!
> >
> >Cheers, Peter
> >
> >Todd Meidinger wrote:
> >
> > >I am in the process of putting together a CNC retrofit Mill
using a
> > >Xylotex controller and NEMA 23 116 oz./in steppers from Jeff. I
am
> > >putting this on the $279 s axis machine that Central
makes/sells. I

wanliker@a...,
> >timg@k...
> >Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q...
> >davemucha@j... [Moderators]
> >
> >OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> >If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects
> >goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru
Google.com to
> >reach it if you have trouble.
> >http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

to be a
> >sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for
> >OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
> >
> >NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY
POSTING
> >THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO
EXCEPTIONS........