CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: newbie to cnc

Posted by StevenManzer
on 2004-01-09 07:55:02 UTC
Hi Jim,

I would go to John Klienbauer's site, check the machines he offers
plans for, and buy a set. You can build one of his machines for a
very modest amount of money and time. You will learn lots along the
way, and have a machine that works when you are finished. John has
a formum for his customers that is excellent for "newbies".

Once you have a working inexpensive machine, you can learn the
software. The software and its use can be the most difficult part
of the CNC world.

If you decide CNC is not for you, you can flog your machine on eBay
and not lose much at all. On the other hand, if you buy a machine,
and all the other stuff, you can invest thousands and still not be
interested...at a huge loss to yourself.

On a side note, CNC is fun and addictive as a hobby. There is lots
to learn (software, electronics, mechanics, how to calm down the
wife when she sees the visa) and lots of things to make.

Happy learning!

Steve

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "jntambs" <jntambs@v...>
wrote:
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "industrialhobbies"
> <admin@i...> wrote:
> > You might want to think about just converting a mill. 5 Bears
has
> > some serious time into his setup, and unless you have that kind
of
> > time the project may just die on the vine.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Aaron Moss
> > www.IndustrialHobbies.com
> >

> Hi Aaron,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I have thought about just what you
suggested.
> My goal is to end up with a machine which is capable of working
with
> steel and most of the bench top units I have seen realistically
don't
> look like they would fill the bill. I do enjoy the machining
aspects
> so something along the lines of 5 bears mill, although challenging
> and time consuming, would not be out of the question.
>
> My problem at this time is getting a handle on the myriad aspects
of
> cnc, which I am not familiar with. I have spent a little time
> digging around this groups posts and links and am very impressed
with
> the wealth of information available here and have concluded that
this
> appears to be where I will be able to gather the knowledge base I
> need. I think though that I may start with a router table or
> something similar to jump in to this and then from there work on a
> functional mill.
>
> I do have an old bridgeport tracer mill, with one jhead, and may
look
> at converting that to cnc if feasible. I have a nice bport series
1
> manual machine, with a 2j head, but don't want to do anything to
that
> machine at this point as it is my main mill and I don't want to
lose
> the capabilities it allows me at this point.
>
> The other option would be to look for a cnc bport (or similar) and
> getting rid of the tracer mill so as not to "re-invent the wheel"
so
> to speak. Has anyone successfully retrofitted a bridgeport tracer
> mill to cnc that would care to comment on the pros and cons?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jim

Discussion Thread

jntambs 2004-01-01 08:21:10 UTC newbie to cnc industrialhobbies 2004-01-01 16:04:20 UTC Re: newbie to cnc jntambs 2004-01-02 09:49:44 UTC Re: newbie to cnc StevenManzer 2004-01-09 07:55:02 UTC Re: newbie to cnc nashroute 2005-05-22 14:55:37 UTC Re: newbie to cnc