CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: plasma vs laser vs browns gas for cnc router cutting

Posted by blownmgb_v8
on 2004-01-13 14:00:47 UTC
The high temperature flame produced by Brown's gas is thought to be a
result of the recombination of atomic hydrogen before the formation
of diatomic hydrogen occurs, requiring that bond to be broken and
reducing the heat of cumbustion. It used to be used rather
extensively but has largely been replaced by acetylene, a synthetic
man-made molecule which has a large heat output for a given volume,
though at a lower specific temperature. At least this is my
understanding of it. I have not personally experimented with Brown's
gas. However, I suspect the volumes being quoted may be considerably
higher than what is needed for general torch use.

Jim

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:

> turbulatordude wrote:
>
> >The flame is purported to be in the 6,000 degree range so it would
> >seem to be considderably higher than acetelene(sp?) and since it
also
> >is reported to work on aluminum, the cutting is not just the metal
> >buring like in steel torch cutting.
> >
> >The old Harbor Freight product, which I think may be discontinued,
> >listed the tip as only 1mm wide. That would put the 6,000 degess
in
> >a 1 mm point. The the huge volume of gas, but actually a small
> >volume.
> >

> Well, this all started with comparing the kerf to laser. With
a .040"
> (1 mm) tip, the flame and kerf are going to be wider than that.
And,
> MUCH wider than the kerf of a laser.
>
> >Also the stored gas was completely save (water) and it was stored
in
> >the handle of the torch.
> >

> The units described in the links from yesterday were HUGE gas
generators,
> producing 1000 L/H of gas, and consuming 25+ A at 240 V. That
certainly
> didn't have all the works in the torch. (I think the electrolyzer
weighed
> 300 Lbs or so.)
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

Doug Fortune 2004-01-11 16:58:22 UTC plasma vs laser vs browns gas for cnc router cutting Jon Elson 2004-01-11 20:04:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] plasma vs laser vs browns gas for cnc router cutting Robin Szemeti 2004-01-11 20:41:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] plasma vs laser vs browns gas for cnc router cutting turbulatordude 2004-01-11 20:48:44 UTC Re: plasma vs laser vs browns gas for cnc router cutting Jon Elson 2004-01-12 08:29:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: plasma vs laser vs browns gas for cnc router cutting Robin Szemeti 2004-01-13 06:52:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: plasma vs laser vs browns gas for cnc router cutting turbulatordude 2004-01-13 07:05:03 UTC Re: plasma vs laser vs browns gas for cnc router cutting Robin Szemeti 2004-01-13 08:24:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: plasma vs laser vs browns gas for cnc router cutting Jon Elson 2004-01-13 09:01:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: plasma vs laser vs browns gas for cnc router cutting blownmgb_v8 2004-01-13 14:00:47 UTC Re: plasma vs laser vs browns gas for cnc router cutting