CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Roll-your-own Phase Converter

on 2004-01-18 17:31:14 UTC
One thing... Check to make sure your idler motor has BALL BEARINGS. Many
of the older ones have journal (sleeve) bearings. Also, the 'big', slower
motors have 'hu-mung-ous' starting torque (current) pull, as the (big)
rotor inertia is overcome. A large, old 15 hp unit may typically draw
upwards of 120 Amps for a few seconds on startup! (Ask me how I know).

RayHex

----------
> From: Paul Amaranth <paul@...>

<snip>
There seems to be a consensus that lower rpm motors make for better
> phase converters as well; 1750 are better than 3500. I picked up
> an 870 rpm 20 hp monster that probably weighs around 350lb for $10
> a few weeks ago. That one will make a dandy converter to run my
> CNC stuff (as well as the other machinery).
>
> Unless you have a very rare situation where you burn out the windings,
> almost nothing goes wrong with 3 phase motors other than the bearings,
> which are cheap and easy to replace. Buying an old 3 phase motor is
> generally a good bet, although if you wanted to be sure you can always
> check the winding resistances.
>
> Paul

Discussion Thread

Raymond Heckert 2004-01-18 17:31:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Roll-your-own Phase Converter Bob McKnight 2004-01-18 19:24:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Roll-your-own Phase Converter