CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Roll-your-own Phase Converter

Posted by Bob McKnight
on 2004-01-18 19:24:37 UTC
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
From: "Raymond Heckert" <jnr@...>
Date sent: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:26:03 -0600
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Roll-your-own
Phase Converter
Send reply to: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

Ray

recently I asked about synchronous operation of the idler and
everybody graciously told me that it wouldn't work. The logic
seemed very sound and I agree that it probably won't work.
BUT Since I have most of the work done on a small motor that
was to belt drive the 15 HP monster through an adjustable sheave,
I am going to leave the small motor on as a pre-rotator to bring
the idler motor up to speed before I energize the circuit. That ought
to take care of the hi current necessary to bring that big rotor
up to speed. I also considered the Rope starter method ala lawn
mower. I have a large (4 ft. throat depth) horizontal band saw
that only gets occassional use for cutting foam panels. It has a
rope starter and it is only a half horse motor. It is just about all
I can do to get it up to speed without blowing a circuit breaker.
I didn't want to even think about starting that old Ball Bearing 15
horse power 1750 rpm motor.

Bob McKnight

One thing... Check to make sure your idler motor has BALL
BEARINGS.
Many of the older ones have journal (sleeve) bearings. Also, the
'big', slower motors have 'hu-mung-ous' starting torque (current)
pull, as the (big) rotor inertia is overcome. A large, old 15 hp unit
may typically draw upwards of 120 Amps for a few seconds on startup!
(Ask me how I know).

RayHex

----------
> From: Paul Amaranth <paul@...>

<snip>
There seems to be a consensus that lower rpm motors make for better

phase converters as well; 1750 are better than 3500. I picked up > an
870 rpm 20 hp monster that probably weighs around 350lb for $10 > a
few weeks ago. That one will make a dandy converter to run my >
CNC
stuff (as well as the other machinery). > > Unless you have a very
rare situation where you burn out the windings, > almost nothing goes
wrong with 3 phase motors other than the bearings, > which are cheap
and easy to replace. Buying an old 3 phase motor is > generally a
good bet, although if you wanted to be sure you can always > check
the
winding resistances. > > Paul

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

wanliker@...,
timg@... Moderator: pentam@...
indigo_red@... davemucha@... [Moderators] URL to
this
group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach
it if you have trouble. http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

a sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC
DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO
EXCEPTIONS........
bill List Mom List Owner

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: