CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: 18 ft router

Posted by metlmunchr
on 2004-02-08 17:24:32 UTC
Uhhhh....a 24 ft planer has a 24 ft stroke (moving table). Roughly,
the length of this machine is twice the stroke plus 10 feet, so in
this instance somewhere around 58 to 60 ft long. The table alone
will probably weigh in excess of 30,000 lbs, and the entire machine
weight will push 100 tons. Machines like this have to be
disassembled for moving. $25,000 might get it disassembled, moved,
and re-assembled, but I doubt it. You are kidding aren't you?

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Pollard"
<dougpol1@o...> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> Well I have reluctantly given up on the idea of using oak to
build my
> cnc router. I had really gotten caught up in the idea probably as
much as
> anything because everyone thought it the wrong thing to do.
> A local machine shop came to my rescue by giving me a 24 ft
metal
> working plainer. The table is way to heavy to use. It weighs, I
would guess
> 3000 lbs. It would take a motor as big as a water bucket to start
it and
> stop it. I am thinking that I will build a table out of 1 inch
Aluminum jig
> plate as they have enough left over from a job and will let me
have it
> really cheap.
> The plainer frame is really heavy and has a very rigid gantry
with cross
> ways to mount a router on. I plan to throw away the compound that
the
> cutting tool is usually mounted on and mill some rectangular
lightning holes
> in the cross slide. Hopefully I can get it light enough so that
there will
> not be so much inertia involved.
> The bed has "v" ways. I think I can make some kind of roller
devices to
> fit down in them and provide roller ways for the table.
> Now I am scratching my head trying to figure out were the
money is
> coming from to buy the bigger motors and electronics to move all
this
> around. I have a sinking feeling I'm in over my head but I guess
I'll take
> it one step at a time. It most likely will just take longer to
complete due
> to having to come up with the money.
> Doug

Discussion Thread

Douglas Pollard 2004-02-08 07:00:02 UTC 18 ft router kmslinda 2004-02-08 08:03:39 UTC Re: 18 ft router metlmunchr 2004-02-08 17:24:32 UTC Re: 18 ft router Douglas Pollard 2004-02-08 19:42:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 18 ft router ballendo 2004-02-09 18:42:11 UTC Re: 18 ft router Paul Amaranth 2004-02-10 05:22:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 18 ft router Douglas Pollard 2004-02-10 05:35:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 18 ft router