CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Rotary to linear translation - an interesting idea.

Posted by james owens
on 2000-04-12 11:53:28 UTC
If we can back-track a little. The orginal idea was for a twag tight foil anchored at both ends. If you then deflect the foil by any means the effective lenth becomes greater, you can't get something for nothing. Even if the stretch returns with metal memory the lenth must alter for any deflection to take place. If the tape is longer the count of the code wheel must alter. Quite which way I don't know, I haven't thought it through yet.

Regards,

Terry.

----- Original Message -----
From: Bertho Boman
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2000 12:27 PM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Rotary to linear translation - an interesting idea.

Sorry David, but I do not think that is correct.

Think about what happens with an infinitely thin tape. There would be no error in the decoder pickup wheel since the average
contact distance is the same as the wheel radius. That would be true even if wrapped around a full turn. The tape is still
moving around a radius in that case so the "speed up" should be there if your explanation was true.

james owens 2000-04-12 11:53:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Rotary to linear translation - an interesting idea. D.F.S. 2000-04-12 12:43:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Rotary to linear translation - an interesting idea. Ian Wright 2000-04-13 01:24:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Rotary to linear translation - an interesting idea. D.F.S. 2000-04-13 07:59:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Rotary to linear translation - an interesting idea. Ron Wickersham 2000-04-13 10:50:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Rotary to linear translation - an interesting idea.