CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: welding machine as a power supply

Posted by Peter Reilley
on 2004-03-21 11:43:31 UTC
Ordinary old style AC welders have two principle components, a transformer
and
an inductor. The transformer works in a conventional manner. The purpose
of the inductor is to limit the current. When there is no load there will
be
no voltage drop across the inductor. As the load goes up the voltage
drops.
That is the essential principle of electric welding.

A welder will take a dead short for a few seconds and not overload the
system. This commonly happens when a welding rod gets stuck. The
current setting of conventional AC welders is determined
by varying the inductance of the inductor. This can be done with taps
on the coil or by a sliding iron slug in the inductors magnetic circuit.

This is not ideal for a power supply. It will act like a very unregulated
voltage source. However, the transformer alone is useful for a supply. I
would
recommend that you tap into the circuit between the inductor and the
transformer.
That should give you the best results for an unregulated supply.

Pete.