CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: knee mill router

on 2004-03-30 17:00:19 UTC
George,

The big question here will be what type of spindle are you going to use? How fast will you want to cut. Are you going to be doing production work?

I have had very good results using my Porter Cable router cutting aluminum, but I make several passes of about .1 inch each pass.

I have seen Multicam demonstrate one of their CNC router cutting aluminum using a 10 hp spindle. It was a gantry system driven from both sides of the X axis. Their machines are made out of steel.

It can be done, but you need to look at your requirements.

your question of "Will the plans of using mild steel and
> the fixed gantry design work in creating a cnc system accurate enough
> to mill metal as compared with converting a drill press to cnc (using
> dovetail X & Y metal tables)?" is yes as long as you know what you are getting into.

Bob Campbell
Bob@...
www.campbelldesigns.com
Breakout board