CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Positioning

on 2004-04-13 11:33:55 UTC
Hi Ruan

Not a stupid question at all.

The router control will have a known point of reference
thet is created by a homing procedure. Many ways are used
to do this...detect a switch closure or particular encoder
encoder pulse, lightly drive into a stop, etc.

In my router 0,0,0 is the center of travel of all axes.
This is defined in the machine control.

Now there are G-codes hand programmed or generated by CAM
software that define the motions. This is read by the control
to create the motion. There are g-codes for offsetting as well.

I try to keep things very simple and straightforward to avoid
crashes and unintended cuts. I will explain the steps to engrave
and cut out a single carved plaque:

The shapes and carving are are created on a CAM system in the office.
This creates a file which is copied on to the machine controller hard disk.
All single (custom) parts have their center defined as x=0 and y=0.
The surface to be cut is made Z=0 with cuts into the wood a negative
number. Again this is all done by the CAM program before the file
goes out to the machine.

Now on the machine the plaque blank is placed with it's center roughly
at the default x=0 y=0 of the machine and clamped.

The blanks vary in thickness from job to job so now the MACHINE CONTROL
is used to set the point where z=0 (the plaque surface). This is done
by manually jogging the tool down quite close to the surface. The remaining
small gap is measured (I use a small spark plug gap gage) and the control
is put in to MANUAL DATA ENTRY mode. This simply allows one to execute
typed in G-gode commands without running a g-code program. I then type in:

G92Zn

where n is the gap I measured with the gage. Now the control will
consider the work surface as z=0.

The cam program is then run. Tool changes for carving and cutting out
are in the program as well as things like pauses to flip the work
to do two sides. Locating pins or other devices are helpful with
two sided work.

Les

Leslie M.Watts
L M Watts Furniture