CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: What is the weak link in machine precision - Knee Mills

on 2004-05-08 09:25:05 UTC
Hi Cliff;

As far as your issue of squareness, lathes I use to work on required
checks for this and other things on a constant basis. In other words
this was a perventive maintenance issue. The machines had enough
adjustments in them that this could be handled rather easily.

While I have little faith in the specs on some of the machines that we
are talking about here, I can say a few things that might stire up the
pot a bit. First it is far easier to machine the smaller parts of
these machines to high tolerances. Yes this means that there has to
be up keep on the production machinery building the parts. If actual
hand work is done on the machine it also makes for easier handling and
the potential for good results is much higher.

A good portion of my career was spent on small high precision
equipment. Expnsive stuff if you consider the size. Prior to that
I did have few years experience with the rebuilding of much larger
machinery. There is a huge difference in effort required ot hit
tolerances on the larger equipment. On the small stuff, after
removing parts from the machine a minimal of hand work was required to
obtain results.

So while QC may not be the greatest with said machinery, it probally is
not impossible to come close to the specs on the mall stuff.

Thanks
dave