CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Proper pull up resistors for optical limits

Posted by fun2b432002
on 2004-05-13 20:12:28 UTC
Okay, that gives me more to go on. The switches will be here
tomorrow so maybe there will be more specifics on current for the IR
and I can use the formula you gave me. Thanks so much for your
help, I'm glad there are knowledgable guys like you to keep us non-
electrical types out of trouble (ha,ha). Thanks again very much for
your help!

Frank

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Roy J. Tellason"
<rtellason@b...> wrote:
> On Thursday 13 May 2004 10:49 pm, fun2b432002 wrote:
> > The wiring diagram shows the resistor on the output side where
the
> > +5V comes off the connector pin (#4) on the servo amp,... it
shows
> > the resistor between the +5V output and the optical interrupter,
> > then from the optical interrupter it goes back to the isolated
> > ground on the connector on the servo amp (pin #6).
>
> Ok, then what you have here is *extremely* non-critical -- it's a
matter of
> the transistor on the output side of that opto connecting that
point to
> ground when it's turned on, and the resistor pulling the point to
+5 when
> the transistor is turned off. A minimum value is going to be
determined by
> how much current that transistor will shunt to ground when it's
on, so for
> example if you used a 1K resistor and assuming that +5 supply,
the maximum
> current is only going to be 5 mA. You could go somewhat lower,
perhaps, or
> higher, but going higher is going to give you less noise immunity.
>
> > The other side of the interrupter gets connected to limit in
pin (#5) and
> > then to the isolated ground (#6).
> >
> > On the optical switch: Pin 1= Anode, Pin 2= Cathode, Pin 3=
> > Collector, and Pin 4= Emitter. I'm unsure which gets connected
> > +5V, Ground, and Limit in, but I'm hoping there will be some
> > instructions with the switch. I'm very newbee to all of this.
> >
> > Hope that helps to make it a little clearer on what size
resistor I
> > need. Thanks
>
> The output side ("emitter" and "collector") are just two
connections to the
> transistor inside the device. Emitter would be grounded and the
collector
> would go to your pullup resistor and to the input pin (which
monitors the
> state of that junction).
>
> For the input side you need to light the LED in there. (It's
probably an
> infrared LED so don't expect to see it lit!) Figuring that
resistor is a
> matter of deciding first how much current you want to flow in
there. Values
> like 10 mA are pretty typical. The other thing you need to know
is the
> typical forward voltage drop of the LED. If that's not specified
for the
> part, just hook up a 1K resistor to +5, the other end to the
anode, and the
> minus side of your +5 supply (or ground) to the cathode. Measure
the voltage
> across cathode and anode, which will give you your voltage drop.
This stays
> fairly constant with varying current. Then subtract that from the
power
> supply voltage, and the difference is what needs to be dropped by
the
> resistor there, at the specified current. Say for example you're
driving
> the input with a +5 supply, the forward voltage drop measured is
1.6V, and
> you want to have 10mA of current flowing in there. The difference
in voltage
> is 5 - 1.6 = 3.4V, which gives you a 340 ohm resistor for 10mA.
A standard
> value of 330 ohms is close enough...
>
> If any of this isn't clear, let me know and I'll see if I can
explain it
> better.

Discussion Thread

fun2b432002 2004-05-13 19:17:45 UTC Proper pull up resistors for optical limits Roy J. Tellason 2004-05-13 19:27:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Proper pull up resistors for optical limits fun2b432002 2004-05-13 19:49:49 UTC Re: Proper pull up resistors for optical limits Roy J. Tellason 2004-05-13 20:02:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Proper pull up resistors for optical limits fun2b432002 2004-05-13 20:12:28 UTC Re: Proper pull up resistors for optical limits Harvey White 2004-05-13 21:57:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Proper pull up resistors for optical limits Harvey White 2004-05-13 21:59:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Proper pull up resistors for optical limits fun2b432002 2004-05-14 04:47:50 UTC Re: Proper pull up resistors for optical limits Torsten 2004-05-14 10:13:23 UTC Re: Proper pull up resistors for optical limits Harvey White 2004-05-14 11:26:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Proper pull up resistors for optical limits Harvey White 2004-05-14 11:29:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Proper pull up resistors for optical limits fun2b432002 2004-05-14 11:49:56 UTC Re: Proper pull up resistors for optical limits